FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Human language rehashed.
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Human Discussions » Human language rehashed.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seth Ventril
Disenfranchised Shadow

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: Human language rehashed.

I understand a great deal of people are against this idea (read as: RP elitists who think they should be instantly FTW because they didn't rp as a "mundane" human), but Humans came to Haelrahv, and as foreign as common was to the Eolai, Eolaish was just as foreign to the humans. Stick with me, I'll make a point here. Now, maybe I'm wrong in the ways I view this, but I've always viewed common as a mish mash of common with other-race influences. I don't view common as the "english" language, I more or less just view it as a treatied language the 5 races (And asapi) developed together to understand eachother. And if I'm wrong, then I'm wrong.

But Humans are still Humans, and there's always the fact we have hundreds of languages, including a ton more counting in human-made fictional languages.

Surely some human out there must have thought at one time it would be beneficial to have a language for his race on a planet of aliens (despite humans being the actual aliens) in case they ever turned against us or decided we were harmful (because humans are paranoid, and we're harmful...Fact). I liked in DR that as a human if Prydeans were standing around snickering at me and insulting me in kitty tongue that I could flip a switch and insult them with my human friends in gamgweth.

More or less, I'm just asking: Is it really such an alien (no pun intended) idea that Humans have a larger grasp of language besides common and whatever Varo taught them?
Assassin: That's a good point...The creed is..."Stick them with the pointy end." - Ctrl+Alt+Del parody of Assassin's Creed.
---
TELEPATHY [close]:  Yaru Dex - "Great now you made Mickey cry. Thanks a lot, Seth."
---
Korell Ventril exclaims, "Choo ain no guard! Choo a crackhead!"
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject:

I don't see it as completely impossible that Humans would develop a unique language of their own. Of course, unlike DR, you can learn other languages here.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Seth Ventril
Disenfranchised Shadow

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject:

Oh I understand it being able to be learned by all, I mean if humans could learn Eolaish then Alteri should be able to learn <insert>.
Assassin: That's a good point...The creed is..."Stick them with the pointy end." - Ctrl+Alt+Del parody of Assassin's Creed.
---
TELEPATHY [close]:  Yaru Dex - "Great now you made Mickey cry. Thanks a lot, Seth."
---
 Back to top »
Morgana

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject:

Hate to agree with numnuts, I mean Seth Smile , but I like the idea of learning another language and the human language some amalgamation of all the sporadic earth variances. Common being a blend of all the alien variances..
Seth Ventril
Disenfranchised Shadow

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject:

<3 Morgie
---
---
 Back to top »
Cadoc

Post Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Now, maybe I'm wrong in the ways I view this, but I've always viewed common as a mish mash of common with other-race influences. I don't view common as the "english" language, I more or less just view it as a treatied language the 5 races (And asapi) developed together to understand eachother.

I would agree with this, as that I see common as a mismatch of all the languages. Or just a simple language that is easily understood by all. (samething I suppose)

But overall, I guess I get this idea from a book I am currently reading, that maybe giving the "common" language a better distinction. But ok now to my point, that the "common" language in the book I am reading is a "Trade" Language that is easy to speak and understand between all races. For the purpose of "trade" of goods, ideas, etc. I dunno if this idea helps at all but that is a reasoning behind why I see that a common language was developed between races.

Anyhoo, thats my 2 cents.
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject:

common = esperanto, haelrahv edition
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
common = esperanto, haelrahv edition

I came here to post this. Sad

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Human Discussions » Human language rehashed.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: