FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Magic Stuff
Goto page Previous  1, 2
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » "Live" Discussions » Magic Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
HR-Trevor wrote:
Isn't a spell slot ever worth it though? The two (spell slot from levelling and spell slot from purchase/erase) don't sound exclusive to each other. It's stat raises vs. spell slot as I understand it, not spell slot vs. spell slot, unless there's a cap on how many spell slots you can have at X level.

i think it's more that, since there are a limited number of spells, it makes little sense to rush yourself and get a spell 3-4 circles early instead of just being patient.

Gotcha. It's been so long since I've played DR (obviously) that I have no sense of how many spells they have vs. how many you can reasonably acquire by levelling. Plus the only caster I ever played past 10th or so was moon mage.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Seth Ventril
Disenfranchised Shadow

Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject:

There was (lack of) enough spells that you could learn them all by leveling. But if you tried to spread magic too thin you'd find yourself wishing you had more spell slots. And since I wasn't combat focused at all, I could afford a level or two's worth of skill points. The way it was, I was getting all my stuff for moongate, and that consisted of a couple spells such as moonbeam, teleport, shift moonbeam, and finally moongate. Moongate was reserved for my 28th circle spell slot. But I also found myself needing distant gaze *A lot*.
So I saved up two level's worth of TDP's and got Moongate at 27th with a bought slot, and distant gaze at 28th. Or vice versa.

But this wasn't about earning another spell. It was about HR having a broad selection of spells, and not wanting people to feel penalized for choosing blindly (Ie, new characters before any information is published on new spells, etc.).

Hence why I focused more on erasing spell splots. It shouldn't be cheap, that's a given. And like DR, it should be a changing price (DR's formula was something like 200 base + % based on level or magic skill + Additional costs if you had bought an erase/spell slot prior). But it also shouldn't be as expensive.

I don't know, I'm just throwing ideas out there based on what I've seen. But in DR, with the moon mage's moderate level of spells, it really wasn't worth it to waste two levels of stat points for an erase (For a spell slot, sure.)
Assassin: That's a good point...The creed is..."Stick them with the pointy end." - Ctrl+Alt+Del parody of Assassin's Creed.
---
TELEPATHY [close]:  Yaru Dex - "Great now you made Mickey cry. Thanks a lot, Seth."
---
Korell Ventril exclaims, "Choo ain no guard! Choo a crackhead!"
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » "Live" Discussions » Magic Stuff
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: