FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Experience System
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Polls » Experience System
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which situation seems most ideal to you?
Reward hard work - the more you play, the faster you level.
41%
 41%  [ 14 ]
Give casual players a break - penalize experience rates for people who play ALL the time.
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Somewhere in the middle. Penalize people who play a lot, but still give them a decent edge.
55%
 55%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 34

HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2003 12:45 pm    Post subject: Experience System

Just to satisfy my curiosity. Smile

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2003 3:04 pm    Post subject:

You make it so hard to choose. Mad I went with the first, only because I don't like the word "penalize". The hardworking players deserve some kind of edge over the "one hour a day" people, but then the casual people should get some kind of boost so they don't get lost in the shuffle.

I guess that's where the dramatic shift from skill-based-leveling to overall-experience-based-leveling comes into play. A lot of us are probably used to the monotonous repitition of skills (read: scripts that we can turn on while we're doing something else nearby) as opposed to this generally unique (it's the first time I've seen it, anyway) concept of a flate rate of 5 experience points a minute.

Although, a thought has struck me. As a "bonus" to those people who work hard with their characters... perhaps the more full your field-experience-pool is, the faster you absorb it into your "permanant" pool? For example: if your field pool is completely full, instead of absorbing 5 points a minute, you may absorb up to 10 or so. Obviously, with this would come a limit to how long this enhanced absorbtion rate could continue to avoid abuse. I'll leave that to you guys to figure out.

I don't know, but it sounds (in theory) that it would benefit even those that aren't hardworking.

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2003 3:10 pm    Post subject:

Here's the issue at hand, in a nutshell.

We as designers choose how long it will take to get from level 1 to level 100. Now then you have to take into account the amount of time a player will play.

Let's say the average person puts in about 125 hours a month. Realistically, the number for gamers of this sort of game seems to be around 125-150 a month.

So, let's say we build the system so that a player who puts in the average of 125/mo. will max his/her character out in say.. 3 years of playing, just to make up a number.

Now take into account the guy who puts in 350 hours a month, nearly 3x. He will max his character out in barely over a year.

So the issue for debate is... does he deserve to max out so quick because he put in so much more time, or should he be reaching max at something closer to the average guy.. maybe he should make max in like 2 years instead?

And that is what I'd like opinions on. Smile

Back to top »
HR-Hunter

Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2003 3:25 pm    Post subject:

I could see maybe a bonus when you first log on that tapers off to a cap. That way when somone doesn't have time to play a ton of hours they don't feel as left behind, but the long hours player wouldn't feel artificially held back. It would also encourage those players with alot of time to play more characters since playing 5 characters an hour each would give a little more bang for the buck then playing one character for 5 hours.
desiree

Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2003 6:49 pm    Post subject:

I like Hunters idea. I think that would be great especially for those of us who want to dabble in more than one profession. I really want to try performing, tailoring and Psionics.
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2003 6:50 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I'm onboard with Hunter as well. Just kind of forget my previous post.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:22 am    Post subject:

An update, here's what we're currently playing with.

We've built in a tracker that keeps track of how much of your time lately has been spent absorbing experience. As this number climbs, the rate at which you learn experience is gradually decreased. Essentially, players who play 100 or 150 hours a month won't be affected a lot, while those who play 250, 300 and so on will notice a great decrease in their current rate of absorption.

Time offline and time in game when not absorbing experience will cause your experience tracker to wind back down. Also, we increased the base rate of experience absorption by double, to 10 exp. points per pulse. The rate of pulse and the exp needed per level has not changed.

Overall, the above noted change should only really affect those who truly play excessively, and the benefit for playing many hours should still exist at a varying degree depending on what "many hours" is.

Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Polls » Experience System
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: