FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Getting into the Guardian role
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Guardians » Getting into the Guardian role
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hubert

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Getting into the Guardian role

Hi,

My first post here, so hope that if I ask anything hopelessly stupid or obvious, I hope you'll forgive me.

Noticed that it's been quite a while since anybody posted anything into the Guardian forum. Also read a number of other articles, but the role of the Guardian within the game is still a little unclear to me.

Some professions are clearly needed by others (Medics repair those that get hurt, Techs repair stuff that breaks, Artisans make me nice things to wear, Bureaucrats help you make more money), but can I cannot find any reason anyone would need a Guardian. From what I read, this may have been different in the past, but has changed (recently?).

I have spoken to a few people in the game about this, but haven't as yet been able to contact any high-level Guardians, and it's really difficult (to me anyway) to find my bearings into the role. Yes, I am making steady progress up the ranks, but even things like the mechanics of using my stone meditation isn't entirely clear.

Hope someone can provide some pointers.

Hubert
 Back to top »
Chevonne

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject:

Hi Hubert,

I was glad to see someone posting in the Guardian folder.

You're not asking anything hopelessly stupid or obvious. And alot of Guardians do ask about our role in HR, including myself. Unfortunately there hasn't really been a definitive answer. And what I say is really just my opinion.

In my opinion alot of things which were planned for Guardians never happened. I may be wrong on this but, when I read about Guardians I got the impression that they were mainly peaceful. Mediators. I guess I kind of thought of Kung Fu (the show) Where David Caradine could put some hurt on some people but never killed anyone. I think that is why intimidation is a core skill and persuasion triple trainable for us. I think the original intent was for us to have sigils or wards or spells that would not hurt or kill anyone but may be able to give people time to talk. (by maybe calming everyone or something).

Having said all that... none of it is possible for us (yet) except by RP means. What I mean by that is, we don't really have the ability to silence anyone or stop violent behavior. But there have been times when you can stop a fight with words. Which, to me, is IC with what a guardian would do. In fact, we can't wisk anyone away to safety except by RP means (which can work).

As far as the mechanics of using the tools you DO have, I can help you with those.

I know this doesn't help much, but I have asked this same question in the past (what role?) And I'm still working on it.

-chevonne
 Back to top »
Hubert

Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject:

Thanks Chevonne.

I too had the Kung Fu thing in my mind, or maybe an AD&D-style Monk. I suppose I will have to be patient and try to RP my way out of situations (or, in my particular case, more like "into situations").

I will try to catch up with you in-game sometime soon.

Hubert
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Guardians » Getting into the Guardian role
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: