FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Foraging in Live
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » "Live" Discussions » Foraging in Live
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Foraging in Live

I recently took a nostalgic waltz back into DragonRealms after quitting about three or so years ago. And I discovered that they had changed their Foraging system so that some items (mainly the healing herbs, as well as certain flowers and whatnot) can only be foraged in certain seasons.

While I can understand and appreciate the realism of that, it was really really really inconvenient when trying to train Foraging when the best item to forage -- in regards to optimum training vs. invested time -- is out of season. While there were several alternatives, they just didn't work as well.

Anyway, I was wondering if there's any intention of having Haelrahv follow the same path in Live. It wouldn't be all that inconvenient as far as training is concerned, since our experience system is radically different than DragonRealms'. However, we also have the commodity market to think about; in which case this kind of restriction could be used to help curb the influx of cash in the system (which I'm not claiming to be a good or bad thing). Some seasons would be more profitable for foragerers while others would essentially be a bust.

And while mining is going to be split into its own little skill, it's still an alternative option in the off-seasons for foragables. And since the new experience system isn't going to be run solely off of training points, and actual activity with the skill will produce more skill, it's not too much of a cost.

--William

PS: I also think it'd be great if mining veins would temporarily dry up at random times (as well as get closed off for the duration). As if a group of NPC miners had to dig or blast the mine deeper for the PCs. This'd also help with market recovery.

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points

Last edited by Brokyn on Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject:

foraging in DR is the most obnoxious system ever. and that says a lot.
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Holy crap, I didn't even realize I was editting-in that PS.

I was wondering how the hell you had managed to reply before I had posted.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject:

I think where this went wrong in DR is a classic case of putting the cart before the horse. Although, it could have also been pure oversight.

There should have been other items to forage during that season that were of similar difficulty. I don't think seasonal items are too bad an idea (as long as they aren't items you need badly daily and can never get except X season) but it would have been better to ensure there were other training options first.

This would be like us removing a whole hunting area purely for artistic reasons without ensuring other mobs of that level range and alignment were available elsewhere.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Dzynna
Shadow Master

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
foraging in DR is the most obnoxious system ever. and that says a lot.

I have to agree. I hate it even more than their "New and Improved" 3 yr old combat system. And that says a lot.

There comes a point where complexity and realism in a system no longer offer anything positive to a game and only offer pain in the ass to any player attempting said system. It's no longer fun. It's no longer something that anyone wants to do and no one will if they don't have to...because the 'reward' is no longer worth it.

Dzynna Zol
-------------------------------------
The Retreat
--------------------------------------
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject:

Dzynna, since you're an experienced Tracker and all, how would you feel if Haelrahv's foraging system took a similar route by improved it? Like Trevor said, if a valid alternative were offered when something was out of season.

I know that'd affect not only the commodity value of those foragables but also the commodity values of alchemical potions needing those foragables. But if there were would other potions of similar difficulty to be made, as well as their corresponding foragables, in the "off-seasons", I don't see how this amount of realism could affect the game in a negative way.

I can see some things surviving year-round. That'd be great. But others, like argurat fruit (which by name is a fruit), should be seasonal. Unless the biology of Haelrahv is really whacky.

Unless foragables have an associated difficulty value that affects nskill training, I don't think we have to worry about the experience side of this change.

--William

PS: While it might seem like I'm trying to push this change through, I'm really just trying to get some kind of variation into the game. Right now, season means hardly anything outside of what Counselor-sponsored festival is coming up.

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Dzynna
Shadow Master

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject:

Since you asked for my opinion....as Trevor said, the issues in DR were most likely them putting the cart before the horse.

The following opinions are in regard to any type of seasonal or weather system, because after playing multiple games I believe I have a feel for the bad things caused by the good intentions of realism of this type.

IF the alternatives for foraging and all the things tied to foraging such as alchemy, woodcrafting, even something as simple as glue making, etc. were in place before the seasonal changes were put in, I'd be for it.

If weather affected health - IF there were viable alternative locations to hunt with less extreme weather conditions in place PRIOR to the weather 'enhancements', I'd be for it.

If weather affected item wear and tear - IF there were ways to clean, repair and possibly waterproof items in place PRIOR to wear and tear being added...and if this did NOT affect clothing/containers (too much realism) but affected skill based items like armor, weapons, equipment, etc., I'd probably be for it.

I just woke up so that's all I can think of off the top of my head...but I hope you get my drift. I'd far rather not have a system like this than have a half-baked one that causes only irritation.

Dzynna Zol
-------------------------------------
The Retreat
--------------------------------------
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » "Live" Discussions » Foraging in Live
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: