FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Comm Units
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Technology Discussions » Comm Units
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HR-Beau
The Good Fairy

Post Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 9:51 pm    Post subject: Comm Units

Hmm, I seem to have volunteered to write up the comm system for Hael, so I thought I'd give ya'll a few details of where I'm going with the system, as well as give you a chance to give input on it before its released.

There will be several different types of comm devices, each with an increasing level of ability. (range...channels, e.t.c.)

This is a long range communications system. The most powerful unit will be able to transmit to about a quarter of the planet at a time, depending on where the player is, the weaker units that players begin with will still have a pretty broad range, though not nearly so much. Range will also be slightly effected by the player's current altitude.

There will be support for a broad number of channels, including some private channels for certain professions. Private transmissions to players within your range will also be possible.

Comms are battery operated, though a wide range of battery strengths will be available.

At some point, Technicians may be able to construct comms, and droids may be able to recharge certain batteries used in them.

I welcome any comments or suggestions you might have on this.

Thanks,

~ Beau Etoile ~
If there is one thing in the world that I know, love conquers all, it trancends time and space, defies all odds, and can bring you back from the darkness, it is the guiding light that helps bring you in from the rough stormy seas of life, and it remains even after you have gone.
~ Adam ~

www.angeluserratus.net
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cirena

Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 12:08 am    Post subject:

Maybe have weather disrupt the comms of course since weather wont be ready by the 29th, I dunno.

More posts may come to me later.

Cirena
 Back to top »
Sainji

Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 12:17 am    Post subject:

How about a market channel? I think once this is in place before Beta, the better for all concerned.

Regards,
HR-Beau
The Good Fairy

Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 2:56 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Maybe have weather disrupt the comms of course since weather wont be ready by the 29th, I dunno.

Yeah, comms will likely be ready before weather (I hope!) but, its always possible that later on down the road having a storm in the same area as you are will affect your comms!

Quote:
How about a market channel? I think once this is in place before Beta, the better for all concerned.

Do you mean a channel specificially for auctions and the sale of items? Or some sort of channel that lists what things might be on a cities stock market?
If there is one thing in the world that I know, love conquers all, it trancends time and space, defies all odds, and can bring you back from the darkness, it is the guiding light that helps bring you in from the rough stormy seas of life, and it remains even after you have gone.
~ Adam ~

www.angeluserratus.net
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dragoonseal

Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 3:11 am    Post subject:

I also place my vote for weather messing up comms.
Sainji

Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 4:00 pm    Post subject:

Both actually, Beau.

Auction channel will have wtb and wts requests, market can have the stock market.

Oh how about a Police channel too? For wanted criminals. Twisted Evil

Regards,
HR-Beau
The Good Fairy

Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 4:07 pm    Post subject:

There will be a built-in ability to listen _but not transmit_ on several special notice channels. One such use would be to listen for wanted criminals, or news announcements, when weather is in, there might even be a weather channel, who knows.

Stock Market is certainly a possibility, if we end up with such a system.

As for player auctions, I'm not sure if we'll set up a specific channel for that, or just let ya'll decide on one, or if we'll make something official.

I don't think I mentioned this before, but player-run Orders _may_ have the option to obtain a channel of their own similar to the professional channels, we'll see about this as time goes on.
~ Adam ~

www.angeluserratus.net
 Back to top »
HR-Beau
The Good Fairy

Post Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 3:46 pm    Post subject:

I'm happy to announce that we will be offering solar powered comms for sale now! These nifty devices will only drain your communicator's battery during the nighttime hours, and if you turn it off, it will actually re-charge some of your spent battery!
~ Adam ~

www.angeluserratus.net
 Back to top »
senutyenool

Post Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject:

::scribbles another quick note into his "Things to buy" list::

a.k.a Senutyenool
 Back to top »
HR-Beau
The Good Fairy

Post Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 3:42 pm    Post subject:

Player's now enter the world of Haelrahv with a cheap throw-away comm, to demonstrate their usefulness.

These comms have a battery that lasts for one Haelrahv day (18 hours), then die and the entire unit must be replaced. (Sorry.)

They only run down when turned on AND the player is logged in. (hint hint) You CAN view some of the options with TUNE and TRANSMIT now though, even though they don't work in the OOC area that is currently accessible.
~ Adam ~

www.angeluserratus.net
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Sat May 03, 2003 7:03 pm    Post subject:

Just a quick request/question: can/do people in the room see anything when you TRANSMIT something on your communicator?

Such as...

Quote:
You hear Joe mumble something into his communicator, but you just can't make it out.

...Or...

Quote:
Joe raises his (style of comm) to his mouth, though you can't exactly make out what he's saying -- and damn you for not learning how to read lips!

I like the second more, though. ::Shrug::

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Beau
The Good Fairy

Post Posted: Sat May 03, 2003 7:15 pm    Post subject:

Right now what you see is:

Beau Etoile speaks into his solar-powered communicator.

That may or may not change in the future though. The second message is a little difficult, because comms can be worn in a LOT of places....well, pretty much anywhere as long as it makes sense....and its kindof hard to raise your ear-worn comm to your mouth. *giggles*
~ Adam ~

www.angeluserratus.net
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Sat May 03, 2003 10:10 pm    Post subject:

Hm, alright then. I was thinking that all comms would be wrist-worn (sort of James Bond-ish, doubling as a wrist watch or somesuch). Thanks Beau.

--William, refraining from joining the giggling cacophony

PS: Going with the James Bond idea.. any chance of getting the communicators to release a poisonous gas that infects everyone but the user? Pretty please?

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Technology Discussions » Comm Units
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: