FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
change wood painting a tad
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Crafting & Trades » change wood painting a tad
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: change wood painting a tad

right now any whittle or carved or etc object becomes:
Code:
a X coated with some dark gold stain
i'd love love love for it to be:
Code:
a dark gold X

it just looks so so awkward with the color info at thte end.
HR-Morrigan

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject:

we'll see, I like it like that Razz

Morrigan Blackfury
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject:

HR-Morrigan wrote:
we'll see, I like it like that Razz

like the way now or the way i suggested?

the reasons i'm not really liking the way it is now is that (1) it's a big long and i'm just not a fan of taps that look long and (2) to me with the way it's set up now it ends up giving a glaring sign that it's a player made item.

edit: swapped "was before" with "i suggested" since that wasn't the way it looked before. woops. Razz

Last edited by soundless on Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Enverdi
Strange and Exciting

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject:

The first description, if the one Yaru gave is accurate, also looks...incompetently made. A real artisan would make it look like it's natural the way it is, not fashioned at all (besides the obvious fact that trees don't look like..say.. horsies)
HR-Morrigan

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject:

I like it my way Very Happy Let me explain why I made it that way. First, I did that so you can see that it is stained and not painted, and vice versa. I imagine paint being a thick coating and stain able to see wood grain, etc. Second, there is a chance to make it all sloppily coated, etc. (not that Yaru would do that of course). I look at changing it though since you guys seem to have a problem with it. I'd still like to keep some of it the same, maybe just change it so that with enough skill its just the color? What do you think about that?

Morrigan Blackfury
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject:

HR-Morrigan wrote:
maybe just change it so that with enough skill its just the color? What do you think about that?

well since the big goal is that i want artisan stuff to look 100% like it could be something sold at an NPC, i don't see why it shouldn't end up making the ultra-professional ones being the only ones that stop pointing out that it's paint/stain (as opposed to the actual material being that color).
HR-Morrigan

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
well since the big goal is that i want artisan stuff to look 100% like it could be something sold at an NPC

Honestly, I would have thought that artisans wouldn't want things to look exactly like store bought but have something special about it. Nevertheless, I'll take a look at it later and see what I can do with it.

Morrigan Blackfury
 Back to top »
Josie
Everyone wants to be me!

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
well since the big goal is that i want artisan stuff to look 100% like it could be something sold at an NPC

Nice goal but the thing that you need to consider is, that might not be the goal morrigan wants. To me having something that looks exactly like something store bought isn't what an artisan would want.

I could go to the store and buy a dark gold mortar, but why would i do that when i could get something that looks like a mortar coated with some dark gold stain. It makes it shown that a) its not an ordinary store bought piece and b) that someone took the time to make it so that if someone else sees my item and says hey, where you get that i can say Oh, I made it myself.

I mean if your whole issue is the color at the end maybe theres a way to have it say something like, a dark gold stained mortar, or something. But to me artisan's items should not just replicate NPC's, why anyone would want that is beyond me. I'd rather have an item with a little difference to it that will stand out and show just what PC's can make and create.
You forcefully swing your fluffy pillow at Trevor Rage and hit him on the rear sending feathers flying everywhere!
Your swing knocked Trevor Rage down!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Of course all this boils down to personal opinion, so there's no right or wrong on it. However, I personally do feel the existing arrangement makes the items seem more unique and more like handcrafted items.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
HR-Beau
The Good Fairy

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Because hand crafted items tend to LOOK handcrafted. Not made like they're in a factory. Artisans are not little Alteri kids slaving away in sweatshops in the Darju sector.
If there is one thing in the world that I know, love conquers all, it trancends time and space, defies all odds, and can bring you back from the darkness, it is the guiding light that helps bring you in from the rough stormy seas of life, and it remains even after you have gone.
~ Adam ~

www.angeluserratus.net
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject:

Josie wrote:
I mean if your whole issue is the color at the end maybe theres a way to have it say something like, a dark gold stained mortar, or something.

i'd like it to say that, too.

all i'm saying is that i don't like how it's tagged on the end, because (in my opinion, which i hope is a given since i'm suggesting, not demanding this...) it just feels like an afterthought. i'd rather it be incorporated more with the entire object itself.

like we have "kailet wood blocks" not "blocks made out of kailet wood" and "a black jabo eyelet gown" not "a gown tailred from jabo eyelet dyed black."

just from the way i like constructing things myself (in terms of my own alterations et al), i like having the adjective/descriptive stuff before the object itself in most situations.

i'm not against things looking hand crafted, but to me something a 100% awesome artisan would do is making something that looks like it was made by something that, while being hand-made, wasn't hand-made in a negative way. to me (opinion!) having the paint/stain stuff at the end gives the impression that it's more something slapped ontop of the final product that an actual part. but that's just me. i don't know how many other people paint stuff so i don't know what anyone else likes about it.

ps: by 100% sold by an NPC i mean having another player look at it and go "Wow did a merchant/npc/gm alterer do that" and being able to go "no, i did!"
HR-Valla

Post Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Artisans are not little Alteri kids slaving away in sweatshops in the Darju sector.

Since When?!? Why do I always miss these memos!

(Laurel Thatcher Ulrich)
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Crafting & Trades » change wood painting a tad
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: