FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Magic/Psi/Armor
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » Magic/Psi/Armor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Magic/Psi/Armor

- Damage shields such as those from magic spells, certain armors or creature body features now inflict unmitigated damage.

- Player armor will now properly mitigate magic and psionic attack damage, as well as some previously unmitigated forms of damage. This has no effect on damage inflicted upon NPC's.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Magic/Psi/Armor

HR-Trevor wrote:
- Damage shields such as those from magic spells, certain armors or creature body features now inflict unmitigated damage.

does the damage happen as often as it should be? i've yet to see my spikes do any damage to the kucho and kashaga that have been landing hits on me. i know it isn't that it should deal damage 100% of the time, but right now it seems way way too little.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:58 am    Post subject:

Heh. I see the problem. Oops.

When bonuses are added to items, generally the item has to "move out" of your character and back in to take affect. This means putting the armor in a container or dropping it, then pulling it back out and wearing it.

IOW your bonus is on the armor but not on you, until you do this. If you had done this once or made the armor for someone else it wouldn't have come up.

Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
IOW your bonus is on the armor but not on you, until you do this. If you had done this once or made the armor for someone else it wouldn't have come up.

okay, i'll try hunting again after doing that, then. Smile
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject:

i've still yet to have the spikes do anything.

can the change for this thing to go off be upped a bit or can it be checked to see if it's going off or whatever?
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject:

Actually, there was a minor bug in the armor hindrance check that kept the effect from being applied. It's now fixed.

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject:

it's working now, but it sure is rare to happen. eoceoe hit yaru well over three dozen times and only got hit twice.

Code:
Stumbling awkwardly, you throw a quick jab at Yaru Dex.  Amazingly, you land a weak hit to his neck as Yaru Dex fails to dodge the attack.
[You are fairly well balanced, healthy, and well rested.]
Roundtime: 3 sec.
>
You are injured by Yaru Dex's armor!

it also hardly hurt eoceoe, who only has 5 vit. the first time it gave him scuffs on his back/chest but didn't even do vit damage, and the second time it gave his abdomen scuffs and took him from full to great health.

i can't see this damage type being that effective at all if it hardly tickles a newbie. especially since the damage, on the rare chance it lands, hardly registers.

it's a really cool armor addition and i'm hoping the power can be adjusted somehow. Smile
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject:

Just FYI, your sample wasn't reflective of the actual numbers. If you did a much longer sample, you'd find on average your spikes injure your attacker much more than 2/36 attacks.

Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
Just FYI, your sample wasn't reflective of the actual numbers. If you did a much longer sample, you'd find on average your spikes injure your attacker much more than 2/36 attacks.

fair enough. for all i know i had crappy luck (then again, not getting hit would be the best luck).

is it possible to tweak the damage up a bit and/or make it so there's a chance of damage even if i dodge something at melee (although i'd understand if the latter can't be done just for balance's sake).
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
i can't see this damage type being that effective at all if it hardly tickles a newbie. especially since the damage, on the rare chance it lands, hardly registers.

What sort of damage are you hoping for, to be sure? The spikes are, first and foremost, a defensive countermeasure; they do work well within those parameters, but attackers aren't simply going to impale themselves on your armor and immediately die while you stand still (think finger-length, not GWAR) -- it's not why they were introduced.

---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject:

HR-Mickey wrote:
What sort of damage are you hoping for, to be sure?

right now it doesn't seem like the damage is even notable enough for anyone to go (theoretically) "sure, i can take this guy down, but i'll get a bit dented too." someone with 5 vit didn't even have damage register the first hit. the second took him to 95% health. so i can't see the spikes as a defensive measure right now because they aren't on the low end of the "is doing this going to be thread to me" scale. if someone with 5 vit doesn't feel it, what would a mid-level (or heck, high-level) critter have happen to it? the damage doesn't seem like it would even be notable.

i would figure the enchantment would at least do damage equivalent to a stab with a small dagger or something. right now it does less damage than an asapi (as in eoceoe sometimes would go down to 90% from an asapi, but this only took him to 95%), which to me is surprising because this damage doesn't even get lowered through armor and so on.
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
right now it doesn't seem like the damage is even notable enough for anyone to go (theoretically) "sure, i can take this guy down, but i'll get a bit dented too."

Are we talking about an armor-spiked guy that's -fighting back- (which is, in and of itself, more damage dealt to the pile), or just standing as a stationary target? A stationary target is going to lose, period; and the aggressor, albeit damaged, is going to walk away. To reiterate, the spikes are a countermeasure, not a passive-aggressive weapon.

soundless wrote:
right now it does less damage than an asapi (as in eoceoe sometimes would go down to 90% from an asapi, but this only took him to 95%), which to me is surprising because this damage doesn't even get lowered through armor and so on.

Armor spike damage ignoring all resists is exactly why it's not going to be a higher-frequency, heavier-damage effect.

---
---
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject:

HR-Mickey wrote:
Armor spike damage ignoring all resists is exactly why it's not going to be a higher-frequency, heavier-damage effect.

but the problem is that the current damage is practically non existent. i'm not expecting someone to tap me on the shoulder and get their face impaled, but if a guy with no vit doesn't feel it/an asapi does more damage than it does then the enchantment property isn't doing enough.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject:

It's worth noting that most of the damage actually inflicted is body wound not hp, and body wounds are not augmented by vitality at all. So in this case, vitality is less relevant than with most attack methods.

Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » Magic/Psi/Armor
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: