FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
NPCs and Professions
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Suggestions and Ideas » NPCs and Professions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Enverdi
Strange and Exciting

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: NPCs and Professions

Scenario:

Code:
[Chodaku Isle, Secluded Beach]
Large rocks trail from the beach out into the ocean, strange plants sprouting from the sand between them. A barely intelligible wooden sign warns of the dangers of swimming here, though you can't imagine who would be stupid enough to try it in the first place! A weathered lighthouse towers to the south. The sound of the crashing waves produces a thundering echo throughout the area and is almost deafening.

You also see the ocean and an elderly nurse.
You notice an exit leading south.

>buy nurse
You ask an elderly nurse for her services.  She offers to heal your head for $81.  Yes or no?
>

>yes
[You have been debited $81 from your bank account.]
An elderly nurse pulls a hi-tech dermal regenerator from her satchel and heals your head.

One "purchase" per NPC, and it has to be profession specific. So for instance...

Code:
You see a middle-aged prostitute.
>

>buy prostitute
You ask a middle-aged prostitute to rock your world.  She winks at you, and through smokey breath, agrees to do so for $200.  Yes or no?
>

>yes
[$200 has been debited from your on hand cash.]
Slipping off to a dark corner, a middle-aged prostitute attempts to rock your world.  It must be an adult contemporary channel, though, because the most she can get from you is soft rock.
>
A middle-aged prostitute wanders away.

Or...you can get items.

Code:
You see a young artisan.
>

>buy artisan
A young artisan sees you beckoning him over.  He smiles at you and opens his coat, showing you a splotchy eoshai hide backpack.  Would you like to buy it for $341?  Yes or no.
>

>yes
[$341 has been debited from your on hand cash.]
A young artisan beams at you as he hands you a splotchy eoshai hide backpack.
>

>A young artisan wanders off.

Thoughts?
maddie

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject:

Here's the way it works: PCs do errands for NPCs, not the other way round, as you are suggesting.

On a more explanatory note, I am against this because it would lead to less interaction between PCs. If you want healing, find a real Medic. If you want a backpack, talk to Yaru. Seriously. Most players are more than happy to help out if you ask, so why would you wanna ask a randomly generated robot?
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject:

Generally speaking, if I were a doctor and I was walking around town and someone asked me to give them a check up on the spot, I'd be more inclined to want to worsen their heath than improve it.

Of course this doesn't apply to every NPC. Say the prostitute. But I'm pretty sure you can find better service (and maybe even free) in the player base there too. Wink

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject:

maddie wrote:
Here's the way it works: PCs do errands for NPCs, not the other way round, as you are suggesting.

On a more explanatory note, I am against this because it would lead to less interaction between PCs. If you want healing, find a real Medic. If you want a backpack, talk to Yaru. Seriously. Most players are more than happy to help out if you ask, so why would you wanna ask a randomly generated robot?

in fairness, it isn't like they can't go to a clothing store and buy a backpack as it is.

i don't find this idea incredibly useful or something i would do myself, but i'm not against giving people amusing ways to spend their money. that, and i can't see someone really taking the time to run around town trying to find a citizen medic to heal them as opposed to getting a PC or just going to the normal NPC healer.

i think finding the middle ground would be the best way to do this, though. the errand system can be made a TON more fun/exciting if it takes the ideas that were just suggested here.

personally, i find doing errands silly after a point because i get nothing out of them. yaru's errand meter has pretty much probably been twice the req for going to vale since forever, and the money reward isn't that "oh cool wow" anyway. that, and such a small amount of money doesn't ever really help newbies that much anyway (considering most of them cause you to lose money when buying the goods, or that the goods are hard to get... etc).

what WOULD be fun is that, instead of giving you cash + rep, the wandering civillians gave you money OR a gift + rep. say you find an alteri artisan his gemrem book. he's so thrilled that instead of giving you $64 or whatever, he gives you a pin or a hat or something. help a nurse, she heals one minor wound. help a tracker, you get a cute knife. maybe guardians can give (low level) sigils and techs can give junk and/or low comm chips and so on and so forth. to me that would at least make errands more "oh wow what do i get next" and also do a better job at equiping newbies with gear. that, and it can also give the chance to introduce things like spell pages and maybe the occasional UC or R (hahaha, UR!) in yet another way for the non combatants/fishers/miners.
Enverdi
Strange and Exciting

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:31 am    Post subject:

maddie wrote:

I think you missed the "light and fanciful" tone of my post.

I just thought it would be fun. If you need something, and they are there, voila! Another use for NPCs besides giving them three-month old popcorn or killing them. Plus...they go away afterwards! Hooray!

You all are too serious.
Daedalus
Local Pimp

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:42 am    Post subject:

It would be pretty cool if you could hire a certain NPC to tag along while you hunt. It could do a little damage and take some. Kind of like the whole zombie thing Psionic's can do.

And if you let too many of your pet NPC's die, others will more likely decline your offer.
Enverdi
Strange and Exciting

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:46 am    Post subject:

Daedalus wrote:
It would be pretty cool if you could hire a certain NPC to tag along while you hunt. It could do a little damage and take some. Kind of like the whole zombie thing Psionic's can do.

And if you let too many of your pet NPC's die, others will more likely decline your offer.

Merc NPCs. Yeah.
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Suggestions and Ideas » NPCs and Professions
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: