FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
how to spice up your portals (TUTORIAL)
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Player Homes » how to spice up your portals (TUTORIAL)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: how to spice up your portals (TUTORIAL)

this was an issue that was more unique to me, but i can see how others may want to know how to do this as well.

for the academy, i have two rooms each containing for portals. those portals are going to what, ICly, are four unique sub-buildings. so in order to help point out what kind of building is what, the portals are semi-descriptive.

first off, it is important to remember that if you place a portal that goes from a lawn room into an inside room, your portals will have a more outside theme to them. instead of doors and arches and passages, you'll have gates and walkways and so on. so if you want a door from the outside in, it is always good to make the portal direction from the inside out.

now, for example (going off memory so may be off a tad), the doorway into the design studio from the outside is called "a golden-flecked doorway leading into a design studio).

in order to do this, i first connected the inside room (the studio) to the outside room (campus lawn).

ignoring the fact that it makes no sense while in transition, i named the portal "a golden-flecked doorway leading into a design studio".

this resulted in something like this:
Code:
[the design studio name]
Description of room.
You also see a golden-flecked doorway leading into a design studio.
and
Code:
[the outside lawn name]
Description.
You also see a golden-flecked doorway leading into a design studio.

so the outside looks right, keeps the 'door' type name (which isn't available when done with a portal from a lawn to an interior), and allows someone to know exactly where they are going in great detail.

but, the inside room makes ZERO sense. how is this fixed?

simple. go back into your design console, and select the option to change a portal's name. this function (and i really hope it isn't a bug because i love it) allows you to change only THAT portal's name and it doesn't also change the name on the other end. so you can then change your inside room portal to something like "a golden-flecked door leading back outside" or something that makes more sense.

you can also use this in reverse. if you want a gate inside your home leading outside, just make a portal from the outside end leading to the inside end. then you can have "a gate leading into a mansion" and "a gate leading back out to the lawn" or whatever you want.

just remember that, when you name the portal, you need to consider what you see on the OTHER side, not the side you are currently working on. if you try to rename a lawn portal when you want a door, your options will not list them. then again, you may want to have something like "a walkway leading into a mansion" and "a doorway to the front yard."

i'm hoping that none of these things i gave information on are bugs and more ways to get around the system limitations, because i definitely love being able to set things up this way. i'm posting it because the people who did get the initial academy tour were curious as to how the portal names were set up the way they were.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject:

The rename portal option was specifically added for this very reason.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
The rename portal option was specifically added for this very reason.

awesome. i wasn't sure if it was that or to save time in deleting and reportaling. Smile
Morgana

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject:

Thanks Yaru.
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject:

by the by, the only problem with this stuff is that the people in room A see you enter the portal via the way it is named in room B.

so if your door is "a doorway leading inside", people inside see "bob enters through a doorway leading inside" as opposed to "bob enters though a doorway leading outside" or whatever it is named in the actual room you enter.
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Player Homes » how to spice up your portals (TUTORIAL)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: