FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Is travel too easy in HR?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Player-Created Polls » Is travel too easy in HR?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is traveling around in HR too easy?
Absolutely. We need some kind of limitations on all these modes of transportation.
65%
 65%  [ 15 ]
Not at all. I love being able to travel from one side of the known world and back in a matter of minutes.
34%
 34%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 23

Tugor
Orgasm Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject: Is travel too easy in HR?

Code:
[Telepathy] Anya Walei projects: morgana can you come get me from Chod?

From Chodaku back to Llanfair is but a single short boat ride away. That amusing comment prompted me to here to ask the question: Is traveling about HR far too easy?

Let's look at all the means of travel that I know of. . .

The biggest and most used I'm sure -
Code:
Potion of Rifts. It allows anyone to warp back to CC almost instantly from almost anywhere in the world.

Mage paths -
Code:
Please choose a destination:
  1] Isle du Soleil, Sanctuary Path
  2] Jaddan Temple, Gardens
  3] Llanfair, Cloud Court
  4] Isle of Mist, Debauched Temple
  5] Chodaku Isle, Mysterious Temple
  6] Chodaku Isle, Sparrow's Bluff
  7] Echak Island, Deserted Beach

Tracker circles - 4 or 5 of them I think, each located in different areas. Jareya Island is of particular notice since it's one of the 'farthest' areas in the game.

Performer Spellsong - I'm unsure how many different places this one goes, I'm gonna guess and say 4. I THINK it teleports the performer and his/her group to various locations in Llanfair from almost anywhere in the world. If anyone could elaborate on this for me, I'd appreciate it.

And last there are UR items that transport people places, not sure on the details.

Let me know if I missed any methods of travel.
----------------------------------------

With that said. Is travel too easy in HR?

My opinion: I think it is far too easy to get around in HR. I think it detracts from the adventure of exploration of new areas or even just the general travel from point A to point B and back. I know that using these methods is a choice and that players can opt to walk or take the 'long route' but given a choice I'm certain most will take the easy way, myself included more often than not.
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Is travel too easy in HR?

Well, for those of us that aren't a psionic, tracker, performer, artisan with a teleport to Echak, or mage...traveling isn't fun or easy...esspecially with how long the Chodaku boats take.

There probably should be limits on the places those professions can go...like mages can only go one place, performers another, trackers another...

I hate asking people to take me anywhere, unless it's Jareya, and then I beg...and even then it's hard to find people around willing to stop a moment to take you.

So....yes and no. Yes, travel is too easy for those that have a way to travel almost anywhere with very few stipulations. No, travel's still annoying for those of us that don't.

AIM: KitMurphyHR
Email: yojibalinese@hotmail.com
Technician Database: http://tech.haelrahv.net/
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tugor
Orgasm Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Is travel too easy in HR?

Kit wrote:
Well, for those of us that aren't a psionic, tracker, performer, artisan with a teleport to Echak, or mage...traveling isn't fun or easy...esspecially with how long the Chodaku boats take.

There probably should be limits on the places those professions can go...like mages can only go one place, performers another, trackers another...

I hate asking people to take me anywhere, unless it's Jareya, and then I beg...and even then it's hard to find people around willing to stop a moment to take you.

So....yes and no. Yes, travel is too easy for those that have a way to travel almost anywhere with very few stipulations. No, travel's still annoying for those of us that don't.

From what I've seen, most do ask for rides from the other professions. I can think offhand of 3 trackers and 3 mages that are around alot to give rides.

One of the things that would be cool is if they started charging for rides. But with such a small player base almost everyone is 'friendly' with eachother and won't charge a single credit for it.

Let's talk about Rifts. Everyone and their mother can make it now and even more have it and use it on a constant basis, myself included. I think that one thing that could be done is to reduce the dosage that even a fully prepared vial makes. High level players can whip out 70+ doses of Rifts now, how about cutting that amount by at least one half, maybe more.

Granted, HR is a small world. However, even if it was much bigger I'm sure the same issues would still be in evidence. There would be more circles for trackers to use, more paths for mages and anyone would still be able to warp back to the central area of the game from anywhere in the world in a matter of seconds via Rift potion.
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Is travel too easy in HR?

Problem is, mages/medics use rift potions for cash. They might not be too happy about a slurge of rifts being suddenly less than 80 whatever doses.

Maybe putting a stricter round time on all travel would make it less convieniant? (Yes, can't spell). Mages take about a minute to get to chodaku. Takes trackers about 1.5 minutes to get to Chodaku. I don't know about performers. Never hitched a ride with one willing to give them. I don't know about psionics either.

Making teleports to different islands take longer would work....it's still better than the alternative. And it stops people just popping here and there and whereever. And rift potions could take longer to work as well...perhaps put you into some limbo for some time between destinations. Or just cull the number of places a profession can reach.

AIM: KitMurphyHR
Email: yojibalinese@hotmail.com
Technician Database: http://tech.haelrahv.net/
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SoulTorn
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:13 am    Post subject:

Code:
You have memorized the following locations:
  Temple Ruins, Before the Temple
  Castle Z'dan, Grand Hallway
  Echak Island, Deserted Beach
  Chodaku Isle, Twilight Tavern Hallway
  Llanfair, Cloud Court

It takes quite a bit of Intellect training to MEMORIZE locations for Instant Recall. Plus you need to have visited the location at least once by yourself.(I took the 'mundane' way for mine)

Code:
>health

You have no visible injuries.
You are healthy and well rested.
Your inner focus is at full strength.

>
.ir 5

[Press the ESCape key to abort script.]
invoke instant recall
[Script]>Closing your eyes, you begin to draw into your mind and invoke the Instant Recall power.
Roundtime: 4 sec.
[Script]>
Spell preparation time: 8 sec.
[Script]>
You complete your invocation.
focus

[Script finished!]
>
Choose a location:
  1. Temple Ruins, Before the Temple
  2. Castle Z'dan, Grand Hallway
  3. Echak Island, Deserted Beach
  4. Chodaku Isle, Twilight Tavern Hallway
  5. Llanfair, Cloud Court
>
You begin to focus your mind to perform a recall.

Roundtime: 10 sec.
>health

You have no visible injuries.
You are healthy and well rested.
Your inner focus is slightly lacking.

>
Your surroundings blur and fade away as you shift from them and materialize at Llanfair, Cloud Court.

[Llanfair, Cloud Court]

It also takes a fair bit of inner focus. Another restriction is that I can only Recall myself.

-Chris
Josie
Everyone wants to be me!

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Let's talk about Rifts. Everyone and their mother can make it now

Unless your 100th level, or a mage with 200 in alchemy, you can't make rifts... hell I can't even make rifts yet! Granted i can mine all the ingrediants and ask someone with 200 in alchemy to make it for me, but it is still a pain in the neck.
You forcefully swing your fluffy pillow at Trevor Rage and hit him on the rear sending feathers flying everywhere!
Your swing knocked Trevor Rage down!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Back to top »
maddie

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Is travel too easy in HR?

Tugor wrote:
Let's talk about Rifts. Everyone and their mother can make it now and even more have it and use it on a constant basis, myself included. I think that one thing that could be done is to reduce the dosage that even a fully prepared vial makes. High level players can whip out 70+ doses of Rifts now, how about cutting that amount by at least one half, maybe more.

Uh, that's not strictly accurate. I can't make the rift potion, nor have I ever had even one dose of it in my posession. Granted, my character is a bit of a recluse, but still. Matter of fact, I have never had even the option of using any of the modes of transportation you have mentioned.
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject:

Josie wrote:
Granted i can mine all the ingrediants and ask someone with 200 in alchemy to make it for me, but it is still a pain in the neck.

i have an awesome script to speed that up.

Code:
#ask.Cmd
put trans Dixie? Morgana? Want to spend five seconds to make a rift for me? i'll give you a hug.
exit

HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject:

Quote:

There are limits.

Rifts: Goes to one location only. Costs money.

Instant Recall: Can go to almost any location memorized, but only self-teleport, no groups.

Ateon Circles: Limited point to point transport. Not available to evil alignment characters.

Mage Spells: Good choice of destinations, and group teleport, but still can't get to some locations. Equipment required for Echak.

Each of these is unique.

Now as far as transportation goes, we also must remember HR's world is smaller than we intend, because of the nature of the game's form. There is a much larger world, some of it built, which isn't used right now. For instance, there are at least 7 major towns no one has never set foot in. Llanfair doesn't even exist in our original world maps, we made it up for sake of the test instance of the game.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject:

And to add to Trevor's post, don't forget that the Live (original) versions of those involve even less destinations. The March of the Golden Tree Path spellsong will only go to Virtuoso; Seams and Paths (presumably) simply send you to the nearest magical focus, etc. Transportation isn't intended as a microwave system, otherwise we'd just let everyone sit in a single room forever because building other locations would be pointless. Finally, while I don't presume to speak for the other GMs, I feel it only fair to warn you that my systems in Live (up to and including any pertinent travel stuff) will be a far shout from instant gratification. Copout "I don't feel like walking/taking the boat/hopping on the hovership." cries won't be justified.

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject:

Has the idea of requiring reagents for some of the teleportation abilities ever come up before? I can't think of any good examples right now (or if this has even been discussed on the boards), since I'm between classes at the moment, but I thought I'd just bring it up.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject:

Powdered intellect devourer claws, and the breath of a displacer beast.

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
HR-Hannah

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Aiba and Gamojab poop.
HR-Faith
OCD Grammar Perfectionist

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject:

a shrunken head and a glob of slime from a dirty toilet bowl.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." -- Bilbo Baggins --
 Back to top »
Apatheticloser
outcast

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject:

:drools while reading the mention of hoverships, and boats:
:keeps reading:
:blanches when he finishes reading the posts:
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Player-Created Polls » Is travel too easy in HR?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: