FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Re-Studying Roundtimes
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Magic and Psionics » Re-Studying Roundtimes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morgana

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re-Studying Roundtimes

This is just in case you didn't realize the time on this. I know it's frustrating to a lot of mages. Not sure if it is to Psionics.

Code:
You flip the book to page 17.
You begin to read over the details of the Gust of Force power.
Roundtime: 33 sec.
study book
You continue to read over the details of the Gust of Force power.
Roundtime: 30 sec.
study book
Roundtime: 34 sec.
study book
Roundtime: 33 sec.
A fluffy charcoal aiba sniffs at the air around him.You continue to read over the details of the Gust of Force power.
Roundtime: 25 sec.
Roundtime: 32 sec.
A middle-aged peasant strolls west.
study book
Roundtime: 35 sec.study book
You continue to read the details of the Gust of Force power and feel as though you've finally mastered it enough to begin using it!
Roundtime: 27 sec.
=3.7 minutes

So let's just say it only takes an average of 3 minutes per spell. So far I've 23 pages with 3 more to add and 3 or 4 more to find. So for 25 pages at 3 minutes a page is 75minutes to relearn spells. Lets say I catch it when the spells are just starting to fade from memory at 1.5minutes a spell. With 25 pages it is 37.5 minutes to learn them. With all the latest pages coming out, I know that time will increase.

I realize it's only once every 3 days for me, and some others it's could be about once a week. But Just wanted to make sure you knew the times we're getting.

Side note: I really can see me Mixing potions in CC, and an invasion hits, and I have to say "I can't remember how to prep a spell. I'll be in the fountain studying my spells don't kill them all okay?" Razz

Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject:

I'm just making an observation: why would you need to learn all 25 spells everytime? Why not just study the ones you need or commonly use?

As far as the invasion scenario, I would suggest restudying/refreshing your combat spells soon after you login or return from an extended afk (if it's possible; I don't do the magic juujuu but I would assume that it can be done before you completely forget) . That way you won't have to worry about it a whole lot.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Morgana

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject:

Assuming I don't have to know the lesser spells now, and not study those at all would help.
I can't refresh anymore. Gotta catch it when the spell is fading from memory or you lose it and have to restudy it. So that brings it down to about 16 spells I use consistantly and four I need to find to see if I like and will use.

16 at 1.5min. is 24 min.
16 at 3 min is 48 min.
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject:

are there even 16 unique spells out for a mage?
Morgana

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject:

I don't know. Forget the thread. I'm just doing alchemy. Or taking a break from maging...
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject:

just some perspective:

it takes me 7 minutes to make one large sheet of fabric when weaving. so in the time you take to learn all your spells, i make like 7 sheets of fabric. that fabric then lasts 14 minutes, while your thing lasts a few days.
the blue fairy
Grandmistress

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject:

true but do you forget how to weave your fabric?

I agree that they should be able to be refreshed at a signifigantly lower RT
and maybe do a quick study of lower spells before having to study the big one of the same spell

A set of breast implants fall from the sky with a soft plop.

Caretaker Jornnoj Vunn looks up at the sky.

A passing guard suddenly shits himself.
 Back to top »
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject:

Well, it's like how techs forget how to make things, so they have to be restudied. Restudying schematics is a pain in the ass. It takes an hour between studies. Manuals aren't THAT bad...

But it has to be a lot worse for mages. I mean, no one needs comms or flashlights to be made anymore, so it's not like Kit keeps up on his studies. Mages rely on their spells. Maybe the thing to do is pick 5-10 spells to study rather then all of them. Or even 16. All of the lower level spells (like jolt) can be ignored for either lightning bolt or chain lightning.

AIM: KitMurphyHR
Email: yojibalinese@hotmail.com
Technician Database: http://tech.haelrahv.net/
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject:

the blue fairy wrote:
true but do you forget how to weave your fabric?

you're comparing the wrong part. weaving the fabric is like studying the spell page, sewing it into something is like casting. the only difference is that the fabric is a one shot and, unlike AD&D, mages can use spells they studied more than once per day per full study.

all spells in the game are not not not intended to be memorized at once. so when someone goes "it's too hard to memorize all spells" i go "well, yeah, that's the point."
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
all spells in the game are not not not intended to be memorized at once. so when someone goes "it's too hard to memorize all spells" i go "well, yeah, that's the point."

Exactly. So study the stuff you use constantly every day to keep them up. Making a study script for your spellbook is easy and if you want the one I made for my mage, just PM me and I'll give it to you and tell you how to alter it. He's still only little, but he has 26 pages in his spellbook. He currently studies 5 when I log him in. Sometimes, like right before I take him to hunt something new, I have him study 1-2 more spells. It takes about 15 minutes to get him totally set up with the spells he'll use. He studies Astral Seam, Elemental Shield, Static Cloak, jolt, and singeing strike everyday. Sometimes I have him study acid bolt and siphon vigor. Those spells work pretty good for hunting at his level. I imagine that when he gets higher, he'll be replaces the attack spells he studies now with their higher equivalents.

AIM: KitMurphyHR
Email: yojibalinese@hotmail.com
Technician Database: http://tech.haelrahv.net/
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject:

A few facts to throw out here:
  • Each spell study action takes an average 30 seconds.
  • Each spell study action grants decent experience gain plus teaches spell research or occult lore skill.
  • Increased levels of spell research and occult lore skill allow you to earn more memory time per study, and to retain a spell/power longer overall.
  • The minimum memory gain per study is 5 hours.
  • The maximum memory gain per study is 12.5 hours.
  • The minimum a fully memorized spell will last is 48 play hours.
  • The maximum a fully memorized spell will last is 60 play hours.
  • Spell memorization does not degrade while offline, nor if you're significantly idle, therefore virtually all degradation occurs while the player is actively playing.
  • At minimum, a player studying a spell will remember that spell for a length of time 600x the time it took to study it.
  • At maximim, a player studying a spell will remember that spell for a length of time 1500x the time it took to study it.
  • A player can study 20 spells in ten minutes and remember them for 5 to 12.5 hours of gameplay.
  • Worst case scenario (skill wise), a player will need to spend 1.6 hours studying to remember 20 spells for 48 hours of play.
  • Best case scenario (skill wise) a player will need to spend 0.8 hours studying to remember 20 spells for 60 hours of play.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Sorkaa

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject:

Didn't Trevor suggest staggering this last time it came up? Like have it set so you re-study 5 spells one day, then a different 5 spells the next, etc. That way you never forget any of them, but you don't have to spend an hour studying.
 Back to top »
Dzynna
Shadow Master

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Re-Studying Roundtimes

Morgana wrote:
I realize it's only once every 3 days for me, and some others it's could be about once a week. But Just wanted to make sure you knew the times we're getting.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you learn general experience from studying the spellbooks? And nskills also?

I'm not sure I see what the problem is.

Dzynna Zol
-------------------------------------
The Retreat
--------------------------------------
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Magic and Psionics » Re-Studying Roundtimes
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: