FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Critter help
Goto page Previous  1, 2
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » Critter help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
senutyenool

Post Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject:

Okay, I have to throw in my 2 shekels again.

Being an ex-serving member of the Aust Def Force (20+ years) you CANNOT judge how good a person is at a certain skill by how they carry themselves, take care of their weapon, how they handle it, etc.

Too many times have people mistakingly thought that a soldier was of exemplary skills because of his appearance and the way he cared for his weapon. This was quickly disproven once he was taken out onto the firing range and he couldn't hit the side of a barn with a hand full of gravel, let alone the target with his weapon. Yep it was spotlessly clean and fully serviceable, but in this case a useless piece of equipment.

And as for a quick example. Out of all the people I know/knew within the Def Force about 85% of them knew that I was a fully qualified Survival Instructor but they would not have picked it by looking at me or seeing how I handled myself out in the weeds.

Appearances can be (and are) deceiving. Wink

a.k.a Senutyenool
 Back to top »
HR-Drake
Machine King

Post Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 2:45 pm    Post subject:

Hmm, I have to agree with looney tunes. You'd never know that the bum in the alley over there was an ex (Navy Seal/Army Ranger/insert other special forces team here) with 20 years of combat experience Wink

In a combat situation I could see there being a chance to gauge how good of a fighter one would be, but even then, one could be faking one's skills and/or trying to psych you out Razz
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 5:06 pm    Post subject:

So... what's the justification for being able to appraise non players again, then? The assumption that every wild argabu (or a more intelligent being, like say a NPC Scephyst, or a NPC Darju for that matter) fights the same at the same level of skill?

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Dragoonseal

Post Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 5:26 pm    Post subject:

I can easily live with not being able to appraise critters or NPCs then if a justification cannot be found, if thats what it takes to not allow people to look at my skills. But I believe its just one of those playability things.
senutyenool

Post Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:05 pm    Post subject:

My vote goes with Dragoonseal. I'd rather not be able appraise then have anyone be able to see where my skill range lies.

My reasoning behind this is that the 2 main characters I currently play are constantly being misjudged by people. They tend to think I am some 10+ for one character and some 15+ levels lower than appearances and player style let on.

And that's just the way I like it, comes in real handy when being harassed by a snert who thinks he has more ranks than I do Twisted Evil

So, in a nutshell my vote is NO for appraisal on critters, PCs, NPCs, et al.

a.k.a Senutyenool
 Back to top »
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:21 pm    Post subject:

dragoonseal wrote:
if thats what it takes to not allow people to look at my skills

senutyenool wrote:
I'd rather not be able appraise then have anyone be able to see where my skill range lies.

I'm feeling sorely disappointed if the book-long thread of class-exampling, rationalizing, and justification of appraisal/non-appraisal boils down to nothing deeper than players just being afraid someone might find out they have a high melee weapons (or any other) skill level.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dragoonseal

Post Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:32 pm    Post subject:

Sorry to disappoint then. Some people just happen to like privacy, and do not share all of their skills. This is why GMs are not allowed to share player's skills, why companies can't share employee wage amounts, why most people don't tell others their wages in the first place, etc.
senutyenool

Post Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 11:35 pm    Post subject:

Yes, add me to the list of disappointers also. I do not like giving out my skills, it leaves it open to conflict.

[history analogy] Fastest gun in the west [/history analogy]

Ring any bells????

a.k.a Senutyenool
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 12:37 am    Post subject:

Heh, this is all irrelevant, the minute you use your skills people will have some idea of your ability. Of course only certain people will know and so you can keep fool some for a long time to come, if that's your gig.

Well anyway, I have no vested interest in this either way, so I'll just throw a poll up and leave it at that.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
senutyenool

Post Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject:

HR-Trevor wrote:
Heh, this is all irrelevant, the minute you use your skills people will have some idea of your ability. Of course only certain people will know and so you can keep fool some for a long time to come, if that's your gig.

Well anyway, I have no vested interest in this either way, so I'll just throw a poll up and leave it at that.

Yes your right, people will have SOME idea, which I'm happy with, as it still doesn't advertise my full stats/skills/ranks (whatever).

And the poll is an excellent idea. Put it to the vote and make an informed decision from there.

(Guess that's why he's da boss, he gots all da good ideas Wink )

a.k.a Senutyenool
 Back to top »
senutyenool

Post Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 5:47 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Everyone's frustration is coming from some smartass being able to say, "Well, it appears you are way under my abilities. Prepare to die." or something to that general effect.

Heh, that's exactly where I was heading.

If said smartass can't gauge your abilities/skills (whatever) and believes he/she is above your level they are in for a rude shock when they find themselves flat on their back sans head Twisted Evil . Might make them think before they try it on someone else next time.

Yes I have an ardent hatred of PKers!!!!! Evil or Very Mad

PKing does not belong in an RPG (my opinion!) Exclamation .

a.k.a Senutyenool
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Combat & Hunting » Critter help
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: