FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
A Debate on the Roleplay Skills of Kit, et al.
Goto page Previous  1, 2
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Role-playing & Socialization » A Debate on the Roleplay Skills of Kit, et al.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Platinumyan
Master Plush ;(

Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject:

Brokyn wrote:
It's not drama if you're explaining your actions. Really, all you're doing is causing more drama. I doubt this thread would've been generated had you just admitted to abusing the mail system.

--William

PS: I'll be making a pretty long-winded post in a few minutes. So this will probably be edited.

Drama:

Quote:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
A composition, in prose or poetry, accommodated to action, and intended to exhibit a picture of human life, or to depict a series of grave or humorous actions of more than ordinary interest, tending toward some striking result. It is commonly designed to be spoken and represented by actors on the stage.

A series of real events invested with a dramatic unity and interest.

Dramatic composition and the literature pertaining to or illustrating it; dramatic literature.

Something to think about.

Yan

This object amazingly decreases one's Logic skill.
This object amazingly enhances one's Flaming skill.
This object considerably enhances one's Annoyance skill.

You sigh.
You say, “Great, another one.”
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject:

Touché, Yan.

And here's the rambling post I've been hinting at for a few minutes.

I'll preface it by saying that it's probably full of tangents. I haven't proofread it. I don't want to. I'm tired of its subject. It starts off as an edit to an already passed-by post.

Quote:
Anyway, other issues. This is going to detour a tad from roleplay and just address the way I act toward Kit. Because I have absolutely nothing to do for the rest of the night. Since Kit can talk about people without addressing them with a "you", I guess I can too. Looks like it's going to be long, too. Hooray.

I've never taken anything In-Game from the boards other than possibly avoiding a character just so I wouldn't have to interact with their player. Yes, I've tried talking to Kit (and a couple of other people) in the game through private transmissions or mental link, fully indicating that I was being OOC, and proceded to discuss "board events". Usually I'm told to shutup and stop sending lengthy messages. Sometimes people are receptive and the whole discussion is, overall, constructive and conducive to some mutual understanding. Ten bucks says you can guess which instance is the more frequent.

I know I've posted somewhere else on having tried to bury the hatchet with Kit's player. After about five or ten minutes she apparently had enough and told me to shutup (not a quote), and logged off. Maybe she saw it as some huge intrusion, I don't know. The point is that I've tried.

I've even told myself, on several occasions, that I wouldn't post in reply to anything Kit posts. Obviously those promises have fallen through. It just seems that all she does is bitch and moan about a) technicians having nothing, b) technicians being inconvenienced by something, c) technicians needing to be involved in every other system in the game, or d) that she's being oppressed by something someone else said.

I can understand the first three. Her myopic view of the game is skewed toward one profession. In some ways that's good (she's able to see every little thing about the profession and able to point out things that can be improved or changed), in some ways that's bad (she has shown very little concern about the overall game's balance). Sometimes it's over little things, sometimes it's over big things.

Well, anyway, that was a slight tangent on how I perceive her board activity. I welcome anyone to show me how they see mine. So, back to why I act the way I do toward Kit.

To be honest, I don't know why flames like to crop up whenever one of Kit's posts are involved. I honestly don't seek out every single post of hers and plot on how I will attempt to thrash her. Seriously, why would I bother wasting my time like that? Besides, I probably only reply to one-tenth of her posts to begin with; but her complaints of my always arguing with her would have you believe otherwise.

Probably my biggest gripe against her is that she just popped up one day and decided that she was hot shit. I know she was around for two or three weeks as Trink before that, but hardly any of us knew about that at the time. She was already against me from the start and I could not understand why at the time (though, I realize now it's because I replied negatively to a handful of her posts as Trink).

Perhaps it's just the part of me that's participated in countless online forums in the past, where they all had an inherent social hierarchy separate from a game, and everyone essentially knew their place. You had to win trust and respect and the only way to do that was by posting. There was no separate universe (re: Haelrahv) for you to interact with the same people in. So, yeah, while you already had relationships inside the game and not on here, and then decided you were going to just post like everyone knew you, it probably irked me a bit. And first impressions always stick, you know.

It might just be a territory thing. Without wanting to toot my own horn or anything, I'm one of the few that've been posting on these forums (hell, I'm on the first page of the members list with it ascending by joined date) from (almost) the beginning. I know that I'm not an authority on everything, if anything. But it's just odd to know all of the "regulars", who have read and gone over the same threads, and then suddenly have someone roaming around acting like they're the coolest thing since kool-aid and they haven't even bothered to read some of the cooler, older threads (from back in the day before the game opened; man, those were the days... everything was hypothetical and up for debate!).

Yeah.

I don't expect it to be well-recieved or anything. Hell, I doubt anybody will read it. Or if they do they'll pick at horrible flaws in logic. And no, I'm not trying to set myself up as some martyr or act the wounded victim (as I've told Kit to not do). I'm just trying to show people the way I see things. It's not the best composition, by any means, but whatever.

I think I'll try to keep to my promise. Yeah. Maybe people will like me then.

--William

PS: Take that, emo.

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
fatboy

Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject:

Well, from my interactions with Kit, I have to say he's an ass. I don't even bother to ask him to fix stuff anymore. Zap on the other hand, I like. As far as the player of Kit goes, if she's anything like her *forum* persona, she's a know it all who needs to do more research before she opens her mouth. But then we all run into that problem from time to time.
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject:

Brokyn wrote:
Really, this thread's title is probably a little misleading. I want to say that Vhen meant this to be a discussion about the aforementioned instance, since Kit kept complained about us derailing her thread and wouldn't comment on the issue, but what do I know?

Apparently not much, but sadly that doesn't save us from your opinions.
** The phrase "break a leg" just wasn't ambitious enough for Mellie Knight. [8:31 pm]
** Mellie Knight was soundly defeated by Aesal Anari-Idia in the Zgedhi Gkenrzeg Rav! [8:31 pm]
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject:

Ho ho, and Aesal swoops in for the zing.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject:

Wow, dude, a social hierarchy? You're really full of yourself. Boards are suppose to be places to chat and share ideas, not get into pissing contests and try to brown nose your way up from meek little posts to God of the Boards. Feels like I'm back studying chimps. You don't want to be a chimp do you? (ape picture aside)

AIM: KitMurphyHR
Email: yojibalinese@hotmail.com
Technician Database: http://tech.haelrahv.net/
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject:

Just a friendly interjection amongst this parade of bile and vitriol to announce that while anything that was mailed before this post is in the past (and, thus in my opinion, none of my business), I've disabled further mailing across multiple accounts.

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject:

Tylen wrote:
While I don't particularly like the player of Kit, I don't think it's fair to single her out. Plenty of other people use a semblance of RP to justify all sorts of idiotic actions. You could easily substitute a dozen names into this thread and have it be just as semi-valid as it is now.

Kit wrote:
And no Tylen, this thread is about me. Keep it on topic.

I agree that I could substitute any number of names in there, and that's why I put et al. in the title. It is about you, Kit, but it's not just about you. You just happened to be the one that brought it up.
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:12 am    Post subject:

i rewrote my reply on this matter.

i think the major issue with kit's player and her posts is that she's a very defensive poster. a defensive poster tends to mix poorly with more cynical posters like will, myself, and others. i'm not saying that it's her fault, because i'm quite sure i could be more tolerant of people making silly mistakes or just not 'getting it' (it = my point or whatever) just as much as kit could probably be less defensive in her interpetations of what is posted as a reply to her.

that rambling said, i do think kit's a good roleplayer, if not good potential, and i know her heart's in the right place for the game.

but, that being said, the fact that i am a cynic with low tolerance for poor-roleplay-foolishness does make me react aggressively toward someone making a roleplay smokescreen to justify actions. and, naturally, with kit's player being a defensive poster, she'd react negatively with me calling her out on her actions.

do i disagree with what she is doing? yes.
do i think it is poor roleplay? yes.
do i think it is system abuse? yes.
do i think she's not a good roleplayer as a whole? no.

i've noticed with many players (not just kit) that there is difficulty with understanding that disagreeing on matters does not mean disliking someone as a person. that, and many tend to think that saying things like "so and so uses mules, and that's fucked up" means i strongly dislike a person and desire to war with them or whatever. there's only one player i personally dislike, and that's more because he felt it was bright to just constantly bring up how much he hates me as a player because who-the-hell-knows-why. mind you, this was before i became more active on the boards, so me being the local asshole here isn't the logic behind it, honest. Wink

anyway, i hope that gives a more clear version of what i previously posted on the matter.
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject:

Thanks Yaru. I think. Mainly on the roleplay issue, not about have two techs to hold my stuff now that I can't use the mail, but on roleplay in general. I think you're a good roleplayer too. Kit interacts with Yaru quite a bit and while I still think half of your posts, while probably not meant to be, are quite viscious, I don't think you hate me. Otherwise, interaction in the game could just be poor. Then again, I know the other characters of some people and I attempted not to dislike them, but that's impossble when the take the board mood and attach it to their characters. And I won't name names. I'm sorry, but outting people just isn't my thing even if you guys like to do it.

AIM: KitMurphyHR
Email: yojibalinese@hotmail.com
Technician Database: http://tech.haelrahv.net/
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject:

I'm just going to say that I mentioned "a social hierarchy" for the boards as they do exist on other forums. And, me being apart of several forums, subconciously expect one to exist on this one. So, whatever.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Tugor
Orgasm Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject:

There is a social heirarchy, though maybe not in the sense some might think. Posters gain reputations when posting on boards. You got the idiots; who post useless drivel that isn't even worth reading most of the time. You got the lurkers; those that post like 5 times a year, though they do read the boards often. You got the knowledge mongers, those that know what they are talking about and answer questions alot etc. etc.
Daedalus
Local Pimp

Post Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject:

We all play a role in this world, whether you're the town whore, the town snert, or someone who just sits around idle all day and rarely speaks. Some just do it better and more recognizable than others.

Kit, I don't think you're bad at roleplaying. I do, however, think you're thoughts on roleplay are slightly flawed. And your posts could use more thought before hitting submit. After just reading about more than half of what you've ever posted, you tend to repeat yourself a lot. I also did find something interesting with this whole mule topic coming up...

Brokyn wrote:
Maybe we should have a "secondary character clan". Mainly for food and booze donations. Get the stuff from that stash with your secondary character and send it to your primary.

If you guys want to, I'll set it up with Williamz.

--William

Kit wrote:
Call it the cheating clan.

Brokyn wrote:
How is it cheating? It's just a secondary storage facility used to house booze and food. If anything, it'd be more organized.

--William

Kit wrote:
How does that make sense on an IC level? Or is this game pretty much just a game and not an RP platform?

Not relating to Haelrahv, but still.

I also, completely agree with most of this...

Brokyn wrote:
It just seems that all she does is bitch and moan about a) technicians having nothing, b) technicians being inconvenienced by something, c) technicians needing to be involved in every other system in the game, or d) that she's being oppressed by something someone else said.

There's more that can be added to that.

Now, some people post out of character, I tend to do both. In character and out. I'd rather not have your opinions chaged about me. Despite what many of you may thing, Daedalus is nothing like me, as far as his causing trouble goes. Most of you just know what he has said/does say over the communicators or some of the things he has done. I think I've tested about every hated type around. Snert, drama queen, etc... It's all usually met with violence, hostility, or a misunderstanding, and there is only a select few that actually try to figure out these type of people. In the end, it's all amusing and you'd be surprised as to how many people contribute to the drama, --player wise-- by using alternative characters.

Anyways, we can comment on other people's roleplaying skills all we want, and we can keep our opinions on whoever's skills for how ever long we wish. But we only control our characters, not others. So, if someone thinks they're roleplaying, then they are. In their book at least.

In my opinion, soundless -Yaru- has some of the best (and most amusing) roleplaying skills.

And I'm sure a majority of us have abused some system, somehow, at some time and point, even if it wasn't intentional. But yeah, those were some lame excuses. Unlike some of the things that have been abused, this particular problem is only fixable to an extent, where even then it can't really be stopped. So, use mules to hold things all you want, Kit. Just don't go tossing it up on the boards unless you want things like this to happen.

-Josh
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Role-playing & Socialization » A Debate on the Roleplay Skills of Kit, et al.
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: