Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
hmm
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Performers » hmm
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: hmm

so maybe i'm considering starting up a performer character.

is there anything i should keep in mind when it comes to training one? all i really know is "train charisma like crazy".

edit: along with that, i'm wondering which of these triple-trainable skills are worth training...

Acrobatics: what does this do especially for a performer, anyway? is it just the balance/get up from knockdown stuff?
Athletics: i have no clue what this does other than let you play football better. i read something about engagement and retreat roundtimes, though.
Persuasion: anything?
Repair: same here. i know instrument repair isn't out yet.
Spell Research: this stuff i guess i have to train, but what's the ETA on it not being needed, anyway?
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
Athletics: i have no clue what this does other than let you play football better. i read something about engagement and retreat roundtimes, though.

Yeah, it improves adv/ret times, unless something's changed. Since you're talking about performers, it doesn't really matter, but it also helps with leaping, if I remember correctly.
 Back to top »
Tugor
Orgasm Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject:

soundless wrote:

It also gives a small bonus to climbing and swimming. Some places that require small amounts of either can be accessed with enough atheletics instead I believe.
Nkehu
bluntmaster supreme!

Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject:

Quote:
is there anything i should keep in mind when it comes to training one? all i really know is "train charisma like crazy".

charisma is the most important but train all ya mentals well, they all play a part in makin a good performer. the rest really depends on how ya wanna play yer character. i concentrated more on physical stats early on cause i like ta hunt, but ya can also get a decent amount of cyberwear ta suppliment this with all the charisma ya'll have.

as fer the specific skills, i don train repair or athletics, so don really know about those.

Quote:
Acrobatics: what does this do especially for a performer, anyway? is it just the balance/get up from knockdown stuff?

it helps with knockdowns an stuff like that but more importantly, well ta me anyway, i get to do cool acrobatic feats which i can use in my acts. Very Happy

Quote:
Persuasion: anything?

it helps ya sell stuff better, at least it helps when i sell my notated songs.

Quote:
Spell Research: this stuff i guess i have to train, but what's the ETA on it not being needed, anyway?

i leave that ta the great scaly one ta answer

Nkehu
 Back to top »
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject:

I wrote a function last week that shows me a full list of every player that knows spellsongs, what their unmodified spell research is, and how many spells (both old and new system) they have as well; with that I've already got my plans compiled, I'm just deciding on a reasonable way to refund the skill points in a way that A: Doesn't amount to a total spell research-brand reallocation, and B: Doesn't cause friction or conflict with any of Trevor's stuff.

My gut instinct is a refund proportional whichever highest spellsong (that you qualify to perform!) you know. I'm open to (non-greedy) suggestions.

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject:

heh, is now the time to say yaru was only learning more and more spells because he wanted mender's in the first place? Wink
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject:

With the old spell system, I'd be leery. In the new, you'd only be hurting yourself if you really wanted to use those spells.

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject:

HR-Mickey wrote:
With the old spell system, I'd be leery. In the new, you'd only be hurting yourself if you really wanted to use those spells.

Spell research = 74...

Why? Because I wanted Mender's Verse.

I also picked up two spells I never use and will not be bothering with anyhow....

AIM: KitMurphyHR
Email: yojibalinese@hotmail.com
Technician Database: http://tech.haelrahv.net/
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
My gut instinct is a refund proportional whichever highest spellsong (that you qualify to perform!) you know. I'm open to (non-greedy) suggestions.

That works for me. I just hope I didn't put extra skill into Spell Research than I needed for my highest spellsong. And I bet I did.

Though I wouldn't be opposed to a reallocation that only affects the SR skill itself. The only spell I use, now that I've worked my attack roundtimes down a bit, is armor aura. And I only use that in the hopes that it'll save me from a life-and-death situation someday.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject:

i gotta say that while it's incredibly easy for yaru to learn a spellsong (four studies, if not three), it was ncredibly hard for my performer newbie to learn his first spellsong.

i mean, geez. i think it took me 5 hours or so to learn my first spellsong.

i might suggest things change a bit in terms of that. maybe make the worst stats/skills/etc available allow a bit faster spellsong learned and the best stats/skills/etc available take a bit longer.

ps: this profession better keep being interesting. i paid for a secound account because of you, Mickey! Wink
Kit

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
i gotta say that while it's incredibly easy for yaru to learn a spellsong (four studies, if not three), it was ncredibly hard for my performer newbie to learn his first spellsong.

i mean, geez. i think it took me 5 hours or so to learn my first spellsong.

i might suggest things change a bit in terms of that. maybe make the worst stats/skills/etc available allow a bit faster spellsong learned and the best stats/skills/etc available take a bit longer.

ps: this profession better keep being interesting. i paid for a secound account because of you, Mickey! Wink

Research and spell research is what determines that, right? Yaru's what? 55 now? And big on mentals. Of course he can learn stuff fast. It took Kit 3 reads to learn Mender's Verse...but his research and intellect and big too.

Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject:

as i said. it's insanely easy to learn spellsongs at high levels, but insanely hard at low levels.

suffice to say, i think an easier spellsong should be easier to learn than the ones that have higher requirements, which are easier because the people who learn them are pretty well off in terms of stats/skills.

if i was a newbie who wanted to play as a performer, i'd be rather frustrated over not being able to do performer-y things from the get go.
Kit

Post Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
as i said. it's insanely easy to learn spellsongs at high levels, but insanely hard at low levels.

suffice to say, i think an easier spellsong should be easier to learn than the ones that have higher requirements, which are easier because the people who learn them are pretty well off in terms of stats/skills.

if i was a newbie who wanted to play as a performer, i'd be rather frustrated over not being able to do performer-y things from the get go.

^.^; That's why I stopped being a performer.

Though honestly, you get more profession bonuses as you get older, you get more skills...you're suppose to get better as you go.

I don't remember learning a spellson to be any more difficult then learning alchemy at a low level. It's the same with techs too. It takes so long to repair anything at lower levels that it gets frustrating. I only played a performer for two levels but I learned several spellsongs at the time, so I don't think it's too terrible. The worst part was getting over not being able to play an instrument without a spellsong. ^.^ It took me awhile to adjust to HR....stupid mind-rotting simu.

Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Performers » hmm
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: