FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Fixing items we can't use
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Technicians » Fixing items we can't use
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Fixing items we can't use

I'm all for fixing new stuff. But I don't think we should be able to just...fix new stuff. We're research triple-trained -- or in the new EXP system, we'll get bonuses. I think we should have to sit down with manuals and actually go over how to use and repair this stuff.

Take for instance the new crat computers. Kit can't even turn it on. How can he be expected to fix something he can't even find an on switch for? Besides, being able to use the menu for things like commodities anyone should be able to use. Kit might not understand the legal jargon, but the rest he can figure out.

Hey, whatever, it just doesn't seem realistic to be able to fix stuff without a) taking it apart and messing up some models, or b) book learning.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HR-Drake
Machine King

Post Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject:

The "learning" is implied when you go to a trainer to increase your skill. Wink That's the whole point of skill trainers. I guess we could have books raise your skill but that'd be a whole extra system entirely.

The reason the crats computers aren't usable by anyone else is cause they're crat-only items. Wink
Kit

Post Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject:

HR-Drake wrote:
The "learning" is implied when you go to a trainer to increase your skill. Wink That's the whole point of skill trainers. I guess we could have books raise your skill but that'd be a whole extra system entirely.

The reason the crats computers aren't usable by anyone else is cause they're crat-only items. Wink

But Rikiar gave us a mode we can enter into the computers so now I'm happy. I still think we should have computers though. ::nag::

And I wouldn't want to increase my skill from books...but like...

In order to repair a regenerator, I have to buy a regenerator tome and study it. That sorta thing. Repair manuals.

The repair skill would give you the ability to study manuals...like in alchemy. But only after you've studied a manual can you actually repair the item.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HR-Drake
Machine King

Post Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject:

Having a system like that would kinda be like having a ton of different repair specialties within the repair skill itself.. and frankly, there isn't enough to repair yet to even consider putting in anything like that. I guess if there were 100 different types of gadgets out there that techs could repair, that one could study in order to be able to repair a certain archetype of gadget or electronic device, but until there's a whole variety of things to repair, it seems pointless.

What I mean is, when there is a huge amount of different types of things to repair, having a specialty (or deciding to spend a massive amount of time studying a whole lot of manuals so you can do everything) would make sense, since people would have to come to you to do the repairs that no one else can. Since there AREN'T that many things to repair yet, everyone would read all the manuals anyway right now, and then having them in the first place would be silly since everyone would be able to repair everything already.

Sorry that took so long to say, I'm not sure how to shorten it at this point in time. Razz
Kit

Post Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:16 pm    Post subject:

HR-Drake wrote:
Having a system like that would kinda be like having a ton of different repair specialties within the repair skill itself.. and frankly, there isn't enough to repair yet to even consider putting in anything like that. I guess if there were 100 different types of gadgets out there that techs could repair, that one could study in order to be able to repair a certain archetype of gadget or electronic device, but until there's a whole variety of things to repair, it seems pointless.

What I mean is, when there is a huge amount of different types of things to repair, having a specialty (or deciding to spend a massive amount of time studying a whole lot of manuals so you can do everything) would make sense, since people would have to come to you to do the repairs that no one else can. Since there AREN'T that many things to repair yet, everyone would read all the manuals anyway right now, and then having them in the first place would be silly since everyone would be able to repair everything already.

Sorry that took so long to say, I'm not sure how to shorten it at this point in time. Razz

I'm just trying to find a reason for us to have a bonus to research. Seems rather pointless. Also, your logic doesn't REALLY make sense. Look at alchemy. You have to study the manuals in order....just like everyone else that learns alchemy. Anyhow, I was just looking for more to do, and more to RP as a tech. When new things come out to fix, suddenly Kit knows how to fix them...and that doesn't really sit with me as good RP.

Maybe if there weren't repair manuals, we should have to sit down and take things apart and rebuild them.

Sigh. Or maybe I'll just play the "I can't repair that new stuff because I have no idea what it's even for" card again, like I did with organizers. Realistically speaking, without studying the object, there should be no way for Kit to be able to repair it. Then again, he already collects electronics for the purpose of taking them apart and putting them back together again. ^.^

So, when DO gadgets come out, Drake? It's getting a little boring without a creation system to mess with.
 Back to top »
HR-Drake
Machine King

Post Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject:

Well, I've got a bunch of gadgets I'd like to put out there, and I did ask you techs to email me ideas (GOOD ideas, ideas for things you as players can actually use), and so far I've not gotten a single email. =/ I'll probably put techie-type weapons like pulse guns and vibro-blades in with gadgetry too, but when it does come out I want there to be a plethora of new things to find and make stuff with, and not just 4 or 5 fluffy items and a couple of weapons that you can already buy at a shop. It's gotta be a cool release.. ya know? Smile I'm working out little details here and there but it's comin' along. Wink
HR-Drake
Machine King

Post Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject:

Alchemy was designed to force players to study tomes in order to learn new things. Repair wasn't. The repair skill was put in to give techs something to do and keep things fixed so others can use them properly. If it's really a big issue for many techs, that they'd rather study manuals in order to learn how to repair different things, then I'll consider putting it in. If I put it in now (read: soon), though, I'd probably have a separate repair manual for everything a tech can repair, i.e. bioscanner manual, cardiostimulator manual, integrity chip manual, etc, since there aren't a lot of things to repair. If I put it in later (when there are more repairable items), I'd set up a category for each.. like a medical device manual, a chip manual, something like that, which to me makes a little more sense.

Maybe I'll make a poll for this..
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:26 am    Post subject:

Kit wrote:
Sigh. Or maybe I'll just play the "I can't repair that new stuff because I have no idea what it's even for" card again, like I did with organizers. Realistically speaking, without studying the object, there should be no way for Kit to be able to repair it.

You could always just roleplay that you are studying something as opposed to running a script (like I think the majority of techs would) that does nothing but enter "study book" every X minutes.

Or you can believe that when you train the electronics skill, you are doing just what you say you want to do. I mean, you're learning something then, right?
Kit

Post Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:04 am    Post subject:

soundless wrote:
Kit wrote:
Sigh. Or maybe I'll just play the "I can't repair that new stuff because I have no idea what it's even for" card again, like I did with organizers. Realistically speaking, without studying the object, there should be no way for Kit to be able to repair it.

You could always just roleplay that you are studying something as opposed to running a script (like I think the majority of techs would) that does nothing but enter "study book" every X minutes.

Or you can believe that when you train the electronics skill, you are doing just what you say you want to do. I mean, you're learning something then, right?

Hmm. I roleplay studying for a new potion. It's true you can pretend the second it takes to up your electronics skill you're learning how to do other stuff. But then, why isn't alchemy like that? Oh well.
 Back to top »
Kit

Post Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:06 am    Post subject:

HR-Drake wrote:
Well, I've got a bunch of gadgets I'd like to put out there, and I did ask you techs to email me ideas (GOOD ideas, ideas for things you as players can actually use), and so far I've not gotten a single email. =/ I'll probably put techie-type weapons like pulse guns and vibro-blades in with gadgetry too, but when it does come out I want there to be a plethora of new things to find and make stuff with, and not just 4 or 5 fluffy items and a couple of weapons that you can already buy at a shop. It's gotta be a cool release.. ya know? Smile I'm working out little details here and there but it's comin' along. Wink

GAH! I sent you something that very night after the meeting because I'm insane like that! ;.; Let me dig up that email and I'll resend it. I'm pretty sure I posted a bunch to the boards too.

So what is next up for us then if Gadgets aren't? I've been wanting to make grenades for a long time.
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject:

Kit wrote:
Hmm. I roleplay studying for a new potion. It's true you can pretend the second it takes to up your electronics skill you're learning how to do other stuff. But then, why isn't alchemy like that? Oh well.

Because different systems are made by different GMs who want different goals.
HR-Drake
Machine King

Post Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject:

I think there were a few gadget ideas posted somewhere, but no emails were sent.. I did just get one sent to me though, thanks. Smile Lots of great ideas there too.
Kit

Post Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:47 am    Post subject:

HR-Drake wrote:
I think there were a few gadget ideas posted somewhere, but no emails were sent.. I did just get one sent to me though, thanks. Smile Lots of great ideas there too.

Good. I just forwarded the same one I sent last time.
 Back to top »
Tao

Post Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject:

Oops, we were supposed to email ideas? Well dang, my bad. heh. Okies, give me a bit to come up with some.
Kit

Post Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject:

Tao wrote:
Oops, we were supposed to email ideas? Well dang, my bad. heh. Okies, give me a bit to come up with some.

::starts the EMP chant::
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Technicians » Fixing items we can't use
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: