Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Computers
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Bureaucrats » Computers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kit
Cybertech Extraordinaire~

Post Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Computers

Sorry, this is just a bit of a pet peeve...and it's probably just me.

However, Kit can't figure out how to turn these on. Therefore, I don't think Kit should be allowed to fix them. I know we strive for realism at times, but really, what's the harm in letting people be able to access the non-crat only stuff...like the tickers. If Kit can put together a MAD, he can figure out how to turn on a computer and access the ticker menu.

Edit: I bought it knowing I already couldn't use it. Kit collects electronics...mostly because I hope he can salvage them for parts one day.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HR-Rikiar
Bureaucrat Guru

Post Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject:

Kit,

I realize that as a technician, you believe you should be able to operate the software loaded onto the organizers. However, I can tell you from RL experience that just because someone is A+ certified doesn't mean they know squat about computer software or how to manipulate it.

On a side note, there is NOTHING on an organizer that a technician would find useful other than the ticker function. That being said, Bureaucrats finally have a toy that is theirs alone to tinker with, yes I'm sure in this case we've tossed aside a bit of the 'realism' in order to make something unique for a particular profession, but that was my decision and I stand by it.

You purchase the Rarnguk Damn Case for $50.

You have successfully researched the Damn case. Good luck!
 Back to top »
Ashes2Ashes
The 'crat and the street-rat

Post Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:15 am    Post subject:

HR-Rikiar wrote:
Kit,

I realize that as a technician, you believe you should be able to operate the software loaded onto the organizers. However, I can tell you from RL experience that just because someone is A+ certified doesn't mean they know squat about computer software or how to manipulate it.

On a side note, there is NOTHING on an organizer that a technician would find useful other than the ticker function. That being said, Bureaucrats finally have a toy that is theirs alone to tinker with, yes I'm sure in this case we've tossed aside a bit of the 'realism' in order to make something unique for a particular profession, but that was my decision and I stand by it.

Can you please make it so they can at least turn it on, or bring an alterer around who can upgrade them? It's really stupid (not you, the situation) that I cannot get my organizer upgraded because the technicians I've talked to who are capable of upgrading have their panties in a wad over not being able to TURN the things on.

Makes no sense to me when they will repair medical equipment they can't use, but hey, to each their own.

I would just like to have a 'functional' organizer, which right now I cannot use it to access the ticker at all.

Thank you for your consideration.
-----
>read by case
The accused: Byt Me, a Darju, is accused of failure to appear.
>read mo case
The accused: Mo Tfoh, a Darju, is accused of unlawful sexual relations.
 Back to top »
Kit

Post Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:24 am    Post subject:

I think I'm just annoyed that the first things that look like computers with data displays are not for techs. I might change my mind about them eventually, but for right now, I'll leave the computer stuff to the crats and the other techs. I don't mean to sound childish -- but in this case, I definately feel like a kid pouting -- but I had originally thought cyber gear were in the hands of techs too...and now computers for crats. I want my palm pilot too to be a good cyber tech.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kit

Post Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:29 am    Post subject:

Ashes2Ashes wrote:
Makes no sense to me when they will repair medical equipment they can't use, but hey, to each their own.

I look at it this way. Meds learned to use their equiptment at med school before they even popped outta the character generator. I can pretend to use their stuff, but I can't understand the complex medical jargon that comes up on the displays nor do I have the training to properly use the tools. With no medical background, the best Kit could do would be to horribly disfigure someone with med gear....more so then trained meds when they're younger do.

In this way, crats have the law and broker. I can broker for myself, but without my training in persuasion and the sorts, Terevo's clerk doesn't much care and I can't negotiate for better prices because I was not trained to do so. Same with argueing cases. I can't because I didn't go to school, like crats, to be a lawyer. I don't have the educational background.

But playing with computers? Went to school for building and repairing them, but evidently, this one is too complicated for me.

Edit: And just because I won't have Kit fix them -- the IG reason is that he's afraid he'll damage them and he hasn't gotten around to taking apart one first to see how they work -- doesn't mean the plethora of other techs won't. Try Arakawaii, Alexander, Vexi, Alexia, Thorne, Heather, Infierna and numerous other new techs I keep helping out every few days to do it for you.
 Back to top »
Ashes2Ashes
The 'crat and the street-rat

Post Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:54 am    Post subject:

I didn't post to get into a discussion with another player, but to ask the GM to comply with you so I can have the tools I need to do my job. However, since you responded...

Kit wrote:
I look at it this way. Meds learned to use their equiptment at med school before they even popped outta the character generator. I can pretend to use their stuff, but I can't understand the complex medical jargon that comes up on the displays nor do I have the training to properly use the tools. With no medical background, the best Kit could do would be to horribly disfigure someone with med gear....more so then trained meds when they're younger do.

And I look at it this way. Medical equipment is never (currently) turned on or off. Therefore your argument is invalid. You repair it because it really doesn't matter to you if you can use it or not.

Kit wrote:
But playing with computers? Went to school for building and repairing them, but evidently, this one is too complicated for me.

Like medical equipment, just because you have the savvy to replace chips, repair physical damage, etc., doesn't mean you have one bit of understanding of what the software does. What if our organizers had been set up to always be ON like the medical equipment?

Kit wrote:
Edit: And just because I won't have Kit fix them -- the IG reason is that he's afraid he'll damage them and he hasn't gotten around to taking apart one first to see how they work -- doesn't mean the plethora of other techs won't. Try Arakawaii, Alexander, Vexi, Alexia, Thorne, Heather, Infierna and numerous other new techs I keep helping out every few days to do it for you.

Your IG reasons are faulty, see above. But...instead of trying to explain [again] to you why they are when you aren't getting it, I plan on asking other techs. Hopefully one of them will be adult about it, not react with the 'OMG another profession got a neato toy that I want and since I can't have it I'm going to have a fit', and earn a large amount of money from me in thanks.

Ciao
-----
>read by case
The accused: Byt Me, a Darju, is accused of failure to appear.
>read mo case
The accused: Mo Tfoh, a Darju, is accused of unlawful sexual relations.
 Back to top »
Kit

Post Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:58 am    Post subject:

Ashes2Ashes wrote:
I didn't post to get into a discussion with another player, but to ask the GM to comply with you so I can have the tools I need to do my job. However, since you responded...

Kit wrote:

And I look at it this way. Medical equipment is never (currently) turned on or off. Therefore your argument is invalid. You repair it because it really doesn't matter to you if you can use it or not.

Kit wrote:

Like medical equipment, just because you have the savvy to replace chips, repair physical damage, etc., doesn't mean you have one bit of understanding of what the software does. What if our organizers had been set up to always be ON like the medical equipment?

Kit wrote:

Your IG reasons are faulty, see above. But...instead of trying to explain [again] to you why they are when you aren't getting it, I plan on asking other techs. Hopefully one of them will be adult about it, not react with the 'OMG another profession got a neato toy that I want and since I can't have it I'm going to have a fit', and earn a large amount of money from me in thanks.

Ciao

What? Techs get tips? ::tease:: I think the most money I ever got was from installing a full set of cyber gear for someone. It's not like the software is hard to use....and if it is, then crats should have had some training to use it. I also don't see fault in my IG reason for not repairing organizers or adding upgrades. But that's just me. <3 You don't need to get all upitty because one person won't help you out. There are TONS others. As I pointed out.
 Back to top »
HR-Rikiar
Bureaucrat Guru

Post Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:23 am    Post subject:

I have a solution for both of you. In looking at the code for the repair of the organizers... I found that I made an error in not allowing Techs to turn on the equipment (which is necessary to facilitate repair). I will be adding in the ability for tech and techs only to turn on the organizers in order to enter a diagnostic mode. They won't be able to use any of the bureaucrat functions, but they will be able to repair the equipment.

I apologize for any misunderstandings this may cause.

You purchase the Rarnguk Damn Case for $50.

You have successfully researched the Damn case. Good luck!
 Back to top »
Kit

Post Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject:

HR-Rikiar wrote:
I have a solution for both of you. In looking at the code for the repair of the organizers... I found that I made an error in not allowing Techs to turn on the equipment (which is necessary to facilitate repair). I will be adding in the ability for tech and techs only to turn on the organizers in order to enter a diagnostic mode. They won't be able to use any of the bureaucrat functions, but they will be able to repair the equipment.

I apologize for any misunderstandings this may cause.

Ahah. Diagnostic mode. That does sound pretty cool. You mean I can actually upgrade what I bought now? I appreciate it Rikiar. It definately makes much more sense now that I can find the on button.
 Back to top »
Sorkaa

Post Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject:

Hmm..we have no other topic for organizers? Anyway, I was wondering..what do these upgrades do?

ticker announcement: shows price changes?
sales notification: ?
brokering: ?
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:26 am    Post subject:

I would assume the broker upgrade (as per my suggestion earlier yesterday) is to show the total amount you've been able to gain for all of your brokers as well as the total number of brokers you've done.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Kit

Post Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:35 am    Post subject:

Sorkaa wrote:
Hmm..we have no other topic for organizers? Anyway, I was wondering..what do these upgrades do?

ticker announcement: shows price changes?
sales notification: ?
brokering: ?

I think only you...and Thorne because of his bonus items...can actually do any organizer upgrades past an itegrity chip and a ticker chip. I wish these skill caps would get lowered. I tried upgrading my stuff (I keep on hand electronics simply to tell at what skill I can do what) and I can't. It's a little difficult to only have two techs being able to do anything.
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:42 am    Post subject:

So we should lower skill requirements so more people can do something?

That kind of ruins the point of something being "special" or even an "upgrade" if the majority can do it. Not to mention it waters down the point in having skill at all.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject:

Kit wrote:
It's a little difficult to only have two techs being able to do anything.

here, have a reason to level at all.

::gives reason::
Sorkaa

Post Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:17 pm    Post subject:

Hmm..maybe..but I'm around for at least 4-5 hours a day, and I'm sure Thorne covers a lot of the time when I'm not. I can't recall ever telling someone "no, I'm too busy to do that." If we're not around, I don't think it's a serious issue that someone can't get their ticker upgrade installed right that minute.

And yeah, that's what the broker one does. Number of brokers, total extra, and also an average of the extra money per broker. Nifty I guess, but not worth 35k (to me anyway). Now all I need to figure out is the difference between the ticker announcement and sales notification.
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Bureaucrats » Computers
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: