FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Random useless facts, related to Hael
Goto page Previous  1, 2
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Out of Character Discussions » Random useless facts, related to Hael
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:20 am    Post subject:

Haelrahv is built in a modified version of WinMOO (which is written in C). WinMOO is the win32 port of the *nix LambdaMOO which was written quite some time ago by a guy who worked for Xerox.

Our version of WinMOO has a number of updates for scalability, performance, and simply better ways to do the same things.

Aesal: We chopped scientists because they seemed to be basically covered already, most by a mixture of mages/alchemy, and technicians.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Nkehu
bluntmaster supreme!

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:15 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I think Khafir Kri was one of mine.

umm nope, Khafir is played by a good friend of mine and is still a current player, although he don't play as much as he used ta. He won the tourney fer his class that was held by Faith an Hannah a whiles back.
 Back to top »
Dante
Boi Toi

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Bureaucrat factoids!:

The Bureaucrat level req for brokering and not effecting the market was changed from level 1 to level 5 after everyone seemed to have "Mulecrats" to sell their stuff at the inflated premium.

There was a series of killings near the beginning that involved most everyone that played against a small contingent of players that were purposefully crashing the market so the prices would not be outrageously high all the time.
Nkehu
bluntmaster supreme!

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
There was a series of killings near the beginning that involved most everyone that played against a small contingent of players that were purposefully crashing the market so the prices would not be outrageously high all the time.

hooray for CRASH!!! good times, good times.
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Sorry for the Khafir Kri thing. I honestly can't remember all of the names that I came up with, but it sounded familiar. Oh well.

As for the market crashes, I did that a few times. And nobody ever suspected me. Woot.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Tao

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject:

The underpants gnome used to teach Exotics skill. So did the Queen. Now the guard captain outside the eastgate teaches it.

I think that the gnome and the Queen must have had a secret relationship going on but then the Queen dumped the gnome for the guard captain.
Dante
Boi Toi

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Brokyn wrote:
As for the market crashes, I did that a few times. And nobody ever suspected me. Woot.

Heh...I actually profitted off of the whole ordeal. While everyone was chasing down the people that were crashing the market, I was buying up bundles and bundles of cheap commodities to sell later. I made quite a bit. ^_^
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject:

Then you wasted it all trying to construct companions for yourself. Sad Poor Dante.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Dante
Boi Toi

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject:

....huh? Confused
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject:

I was trying to make a sexual joke. Moving on...

Anybody remember when chiths were the scariest things out there? Oh, man.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
Josie
Everyone wants to be me!

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject:

oh man the good ole days....

Quote:
Ahh, the days of getting pierced jewelry out of the claw game and having to wait on a GM to have pity and come down to pierce us.

I have to admit I was the first player to ever get a piercing in HR during the OOC days... Jocelyn came down and skewered me, killing me with the piercing *chuckle*

I remember PAINT BALL!!!!! Can you say... BRING IT BACK!

Those cool lil amulets that made us all go inviso...man i miss those too

Also won 2nd place in a constellation essay contest, cant remember who else won. all i know is when live happens the constellation will be in the sky and i'll get a lil plaque that says it belongs to me *cackles*... btw i still have that essay if anyone wants to read it *grin*

Umm... yah the first days were scary as hell... everyone made chiths seem like 50 ft tall dragons breathing fire, i didnt even go to chiths till i was almost 7th or 8th level.

Thats all i can think of... today was a hell day at the clinic and imma go drink a beer and watch a movie.

~jo
You forcefully swing your fluffy pillow at Trevor Rage and hit him on the rear sending feathers flying everywhere!
Your swing knocked Trevor Rage down!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Back to top »
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Useless Factcicle the 2cond: Mickey(?) deployed the "Haelrahv Alpha Chronometer". Perhaps a bit premature, hmm?

Ayup, that was me. I almost wonder if I could find that laying around somewhere if I went looking for it. Honestly, if we were afforded the opportunity to do things differently, I'm not sure I'd personally take it; I think things have come along just nicely on our own shoot-from-the-hip development timeline.

Useless Mickey-to-Haelrahv Trivia:
I've been coding in this brand of lib since late 1995. I started as a builder/player (for some reason the latter had the abilities of the former) in a local (southwest NH) dialup game called Seripa; I'm a bit ashamed to admit that I was an inordinately unscrupulous player that made a practice of finding whatever loopholes and bugs I could exploit to advance my character. I was frequently at odds with the staff, but for some reason they still tolerated me enough to let me stay. When the game found its way to the Internet, I was forcibly brought on as staff with a priority directive of sealing and/or fixing every trick and hazard I was capable of discovering; if there's a bright side to that, it's that I've been conditioned to immediately consider the sneaky in all my systems before I get to the real work. About a year after that, the lead admin resigned, and in a 180-degree change from when I first started the game, I was actually the head of the game for another year and a half, after which it closed down because of lack of funds (we paid by volunteer effort).
After Seripa's untimely demise, I was more or less a coding gun for hire; I frequented social MUDs and offered bits of code here and there to aspiring game-builders, but never really settled into a niche.
While wasting away time in one of those social games, I happened across a post by a player that was trying to recruit for a sci-fi game. I decided to try it out, and became an awfully damn well-known character before the staff there offered me a GM spot. This is where I met Arden (who was already on staff), actually. Due to several circumstances I'd sooner not rehash here, we both eventually left staff from that game on really poor terms with the designers. Looking back at that from my present lofty perch of opulence as the one and only Mickey "Squid Daddy" Brunner, that had to have been the best game-design career move I've ever made.
I toyed around with helping here and there in games for a while before finally dropping out of the gig entirely; I just had no motivation to involve myself in games anymore. I played around with my own project offline for a while, but couldn't get serious about it.
Around the beginning of November in 2002, Arden dropped Trevor's name to me (I'd never heard of him before that; my experience with Simu was about 8 minutes of playing MO) and directed me to, well, these message boards. Admittedly (I'm such a bad kid), I almost didn't apply; I wasn't sure if I was ready to commit to another game yet.
And, here I am two years later. Sorry about your luck!

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:00 am    Post subject:

Quote:
And, here I am two years later.

And man have we paid for ever since!

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Out of Character Discussions » Random useless facts, related to Hael
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: