FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Screen name
Goto page Previous  1, 2
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Out of Character Discussions » Screen name
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HR-Beau
The Good Fairy

Post Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:21 pm    Post subject:

Quite interesting, because um....my personal SN is one that used to be an AOL SN way back in the day.
If there is one thing in the world that I know, love conquers all, it trancends time and space, defies all odds, and can bring you back from the darkness, it is the guiding light that helps bring you in from the rough stormy seas of life, and it remains even after you have gone.
~ Adam ~

www.angeluserratus.net
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:43 am    Post subject:

I love their age verification program. If you say you're < 13 yrs/old you can't use AIM and you have to give a CC for verification if you claim you entered the wrong date.

However, if you lie and you're 10, it's okay, come on in.

Moral of the story for kids is apparently lying is better and honesty just hurts you. WTG AOL!

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
HR-Beau
The Good Fairy

Post Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Heh, and its not like kids can't go out and buy a Visa GiftCard....good anywhere.
If there is one thing in the world that I know, love conquers all, it trancends time and space, defies all odds, and can bring you back from the darkness, it is the guiding light that helps bring you in from the rough stormy seas of life, and it remains even after you have gone.
~ Adam ~

www.angeluserratus.net
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TienaRhyker

Post Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject:

Using and AOL screen name for AIM once you cancel AOL is NOT a new ability. I had AOL back around 1998 and cancelled it after about 6 months. I have been using my AOL screen name on AIM since then... oh 4-5 years.
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject:

I think they meant that the fact that you now can't use your old AOL name on AIM is a new thing.
 Back to top »
HR-Beau
The Good Fairy

Post Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:44 am    Post subject:

Hmm, I still am quite traumatized by AOL because they won't let me have such simple screennames as... Beau, its VERY diffcult to get an AIM name without having to put a number or somethign equally silly in it! And I KNOW that some of the weird stuff I come up with cannot be taken.
~ Adam ~

www.angeluserratus.net
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:15 am    Post subject:

Only because I have some history with AOL beyond just a former customer, I am willing to bet that anything you've tried to use that was rejected was a valid rejection, be it due to actually being in use, formerly in use but not cleared out for use, or blocked due to filtering rules.

Additionally: I actually once had a very obscure SN that I couldn't fathom anyone else ever picking. I ditched AOL and some time later (maybe a couple of years, I forget) I actually found that the SN had been cleared for use again and someone was using it (that is, I saw them online. I don't recall WHY I even looked, but it's a true story!)

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
winddancer
Hah! In your dreams, bub!

Post Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:19 am    Post subject:

I will spend hours thinking of a funky name just because i hate putting something like Bell122 just to get bell in there.

I usually don't really like using my character's name as an SN because I always see myself using the SN long after I stop playing some character. The fact that I still have about 5-7 SNs active notwithstanding.

Of course, now everyone in HR meeting me on AIM for the first time and sees my SN will think I'm a ho, because everyone's minds are in the GUTTER!!!

::glower::

~SugarPopNymph~

Whee! Derail the thread one spoke at a time!
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:25 am    Post subject:

My two AIM screennames were easy to get.

One was a phrase, one was engrish.
Durinthal
Arr!

Post Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:42 pm    Post subject:

I was somewhat surprised that I got Swordskid as a name, but then again that was also about 7 years ago.

Durinthal's almost completely unique; I saw one other instance of the name on Google that wasn't me and that was some dwarven paladin in EQ (and the site has since disappeared from Google).

Unfortunately both of those are now locked down due to AOL's stupidity, so I made a new screen name: KiltedContra. I play the contrabass and contra-alto clarinets and our marching band wears kilts.. It's also unique as far as I know.
 Back to top »
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject:

My name is awesome. I think I got it from a random name generator thing when I needed to sign up for Zone, like, 10 years ago.
 Back to top »
Durinthal
Arr!

Post Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:47 am    Post subject:

SolitaryTurnip wrote:
My name is awesome. I think I got it from a random name generator thing when I needed to sign up for Zone, like, 10 years ago.

You're also 3 posts short of 1337ness.

um..

Durinthal's apparently based off of Durin, one of the dwarven kings mentioned in The Hobbit. However, I created the name before I read the book.. though I may have heard my stepfather mention Durin before then, since he introduced me to it.
 Back to top »
HR-Beau
The Good Fairy

Post Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:29 am    Post subject:

And then he was never able to post again. Until one day, then he forgot and posted anyhow. And he cried.
~ Adam ~

www.angeluserratus.net
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject:

I don't think Vhen will get an ape. Aw, poor Vhen.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:35 am    Post subject:

I'll get something cooler, I'm sure.
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Out of Character Discussions » Screen name
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: