FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
candle making, tests and results. WARNING: SPOILER.
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Artisans » candle making, tests and results. WARNING: SPOILER.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jade
Soldier of the '?'th Century

Post Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:49 am    Post subject: candle making, tests and results. WARNING: SPOILER.

this is meant to be an informative document detailing the results one might be able to expect from attempting to achieve certain candle colours. helpful additions to this piece by others will be greatly appreciated, especially regarding the addition order of the various colour dyes.

forewarning: if you would rather find out about candle making for yourself, i respect your desire for individual discovery and suggest you read no further. this document is a spoiler.

Process: candle making

Method: the steps involved in making a candle i will not go over here. directions as to how to make a candle will be found within the candle-making villa on echak island. suffice it to say that, for the purpose of this document, i am interested only in the point at which dyes and scents are added to the molten wax, and the resultant candles thereof. for all experiments, i used a ‘large pillar mold’ and a ‘large wax block’.

Notes: for purpose of this document, colour types will be handled as follows:

the PRIMARY colours are: red, yellow and blue.

the SECONDARY colours are those hues arrived at via the combination of two primary colours. the secondary colours are: green (yellow + blue), orange (yellow + red) and violet (red + blue).

the NEUTRAL colours are those colours outside the range of primary and secondary colours. for the purpose of this document, listed among neutral colours will be: white, black, brown and grey, and the tones and shades thereof (in other systems of detailing colour type, brown will sometimes be considered a tertiary colour distinct from white and black). in concept, white + black = grey; red + yellow + blue = brown. the attempt to create a brown candle was successful; no attempt was made to create a grey candle.

Findings: when attempting to vary the tone (lightness) or shade (darkness) of a particular hue (colour), my findings were as follows:

any ONE primary colour plus white will LIGHTEN that primary (e.g., blue + white = light blue). to accomplish this, i added first the blue dye and then the white. the importance of order of the addition of the dyes for this experiment was not established.

any ONE primary colour plus black will result in a BLACK candle. this will be the case regardless of the order in which the primary and black colour dyes are added to the molten wax. at the time of this document, it is not possible to darken (alter the shade of) a primary colour.

any SECONDARY colour plus white will LIGHTEN that secondary (e.g., green + white = light green). to accomplish this, i first combined the yellow and blue dyes and then added the white dye. the importance of order of the addition of the dyes for this experiment was not established.

Correction: light green and light purple are able to be achieved via this process. light orange is not.

any SECONDARY colour plus black will result in a BLACK candle. this will be the case regardless of the order in which the various coloured dyes are added to the molten wax. at the time of this document, it is not possible to darken (alter the shade of) a secondary colour.

no attempt was made to vary the tone or shade of a neutral colour. in concept, brown + white = light brown (tan) or beige. however, this was not proven from any of the above experiments.

finally, if one already has created a secondary colour and adds more of a primary colour, one may achieve results such as blue-green.

Regarding other observed phenomena:

if one adds more than one scent to a mold, only ONE scent will dominate in the resultant candle (on my particular attempt, i tried to combine within the same candle both woodland and herbal oils. the resultant candle only gave off an herbal scent when smelled). however, on the next attempt at making a candle using that same mold, some oil will have remained from the previous attempt. thus one will be told one has already added a scent. HOWEVER, when the second candle has finally cooled, upon smelling the candle one will notice that it is unscented. FURTHERMORE, on successive attempts to make a candle using that same mold, one will consistently be told one has already added a scent, regardless of whether such is truly the case. the problem ceased when i switched to a new large pillar mold. hence, it is my belief that this particular phenomenon is a quirk of the candle making system that might later be considered.

Kudos: thank you to seth ventril for his assistance in compiling and observing the results of the experiments, to tiena rhyker for her discovery of the 'secondary + primary' feature, and to mellie amresh for her generous loan of a boiling pot.
You say, "For all, temperance."
You say, "But justice is worthy for its own sake."
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TienaRhyker

Post Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:10 am    Post subject:

Jaelin was kind enough to let me use some of her supplies as well as give me a lesson on candle making. If she had not I would not have had a chance to try it until a future date. I had some fun with mixing the colours and now that I have seen some of the results.. example blue-green and light purple, which I seem to recall being two of them (don't quote me with certainty). I very much look forward to doing more experimentation as soon as work hours die down.
TienaRhyker

Post Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:35 am    Post subject:

Quickly and simply. I will try to clean it up later...

scents:

rose oil = a sensual blend of elan rose petals and exotic spices.
lily oil = a calming Jaddan lily essence mixed with a delicate earthy musk.
woodland oil = a crisp clean woody scent balanced with a hint of wild flowers.
rain oil = a refreshing fragrance reminiscent of a gentle summer rain shower.
ocean oil = a invigorating ocean breeze mingled with lush tropical flowers.
herbal oil = a cleansing medley of freshly picked herbs.
passionfruit oil = a succulent fruity fragrance with a hint of floral.
citrus oil = a wonderful blend of ripe citrus fruits with faint traces of herbs and spices.

colors:

a jar of yellow dye
a jar of red dye
a jar of blue dye
a jar of white dye
a jar of black dye

no dye = plain
yellow + red = orange
yellow + red + yellow = yellow-orange
yellow + red + yellow + white = unable to add more dye
yellow + red + white = light orange
red + yellow + red = red-orange
red + yellow + white = light orange
red + blue = purple
red + blue + white = light purple
red + blue + red = red-violet
blue + red + blue = blue-violet
blue + yellow = green
blue + yellow + blue = blue-green
yellow + blue + yellow = yellow-green
yellow + blue + white = light green
yellow + blue + red = brown
yellow + blue + red + white = unable to add more dye
red + white = pink
yellow + white = light yellow
blue + white = light blue
black + white = grey
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:29 am    Post subject:

The four-color thing is weird, actually, because you shouldn't be able to add more than three.

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TienaRhyker

Post Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:54 am    Post subject:

HR-Mickey wrote:
The four-color thing is weird, actually, because you shouldn't be able to add more than three.

Quote:
yellow + red + yellow + white = unable to add more dye

Right, you cannot add more dye past three. That is what I was trying to show. Sorry Mickey and everyone if I was confusing!
HR-Mickey
Cloverfield Monster

Post Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:58 am    Post subject:

Aha, I see. I thought you meant that once you added that fourth color, you couldn't add any others after that. <cough>

To make a long story short, don't tell it.

I may be going nowhere, but I'm going nowhere fast.
---
Kelvin Watt says, "I stopped drinking coke when no longer drinking beer didn't make my gut disappear."
---
Kaelin Rae says, "Wait a minute..."
Kaelin Rae says, "You mean they have a COKE machine that dispenses beer."
Kaelin Rae nods to you.
Kaelin Rae says, "Greaser."
Kaelin Rae looks at you and sighs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HR-Valla

Post Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject:

Also there is a tester tray in the room, you can SMELL the specific tester (look on the tray on the counter) to see if you like that scent before you purchase a vial of it.

Valla
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject:

There's no dark blue. Sad

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
TienaRhyker

Post Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:52 am    Post subject:

Personally I think that it would be nice if we could get dark colors by adding black and light colors by adding white. Say with these formulas...

blue + blue + black = dark blue

red + red + white = light red

And so on.
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Artisans » candle making, tests and results. WARNING: SPOILER.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: