Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Melee
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Guardians » Melee
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nojn

Post Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Melee

Two questions that come up in my mind. Recently Chevonne and I experimented at the Sparring grounds.

First off I had her stalk me to get close. All the while she was stalking, I received the message that I could see her moving closer to me. When she reached melee I searched for her and couldn't find her?? Doesn't seem reasonable that you notice her moving towards me without even searching, yet she close enough to be in melee and can't find her searching!

Second thing is, someone explain that while I can see the concept of someone stalking you to get into melee, they can strike and immediately hide again?? and your close enough for hand to hand combat?? I don't care how much stealh a person has, its not possible to remain in melee and disappear. I could see it if they retreat to the next stage THEN disappear, but its not reasonable to be able to vanish in melee. If you were able to leap at them so they couldn't retreat, they should not be able to disappear. They would have to continue to fight OR run like hell and hope you got tired of leaping.

If the is the type of engagement system that will be put into place, it seriously hinders Guardians and others. We have to be close for unarmed attacks, yet psionics and the like can attack from any range before we even get close.

Guess what I am trying to say is.. while in melee, a person trying to hide at that range, it should be disabled until the gap between them increases.

Nojn
 Back to top »
HR-Marduk

Post Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
First off I had her stalk me to get close. All the while she was stalking, I received the message that I could see her moving closer to me. When she reached melee I searched for her and couldn't find her?? Doesn't seem reasonable that you notice her moving towards me without even searching, yet she close enough to be in melee and can't find her searching!

I'll look into the numbers again, but if the checks are relatively close, it's possible that you'll be able to see them advancing but not able to see them through searching (though you can point just by seeing them advance). It's intended to be more difficult to actually move towards someone while hiding than to just hide while near them (and for gameplay reasons, advancing while hiding is actually more of an advantage).

Quote:
Second thing is, someone explain that while I can see the concept of someone stalking you to get into melee, they can strike and immediately hide again?? and your close enough for hand to hand combat?? I don't care how much stealh a person has, its not possible to remain in melee and disappear. I could see it if they retreat to the next stage THEN disappear, but its not reasonable to be able to vanish in melee. If you were able to leap at them so they couldn't retreat, they should not be able to disappear. They would have to continue to fight OR run like hell and hope you got tired of leaping.

There's a significant penalty to hiding while at melee. Agents hunting at their level will already find it difficult to hide again after performing a stealth attack, if they get to the range to attack without being seen in the first place. It's not intended that they be able to repeatedly stealth use these maneuvers on someone/something, but if one of your character's weaknesses is lack of perception/streetwise/tracking, I don't see any reason why someone trained for stealth combat should be unable to exploit it.

I'm trying to avoid situations where there will be a 'I simply don't care how much skill you have' rationality behind it, because they are, quite simply, incredibly restricting to players who want to train and utilize these skills to the fullest.

Quote:
If the is the type of engagement system that will be put into place, it seriously hinders Guardians and others. We have to be close for unarmed attacks, yet psionics and the like can attack from any range before we even get close.

How so? Guardians already have more than one method to compensate for the fact that they can't use ranged//polearm weapons, aside from the fact that they excell in all the skills used in engagement system checks. And there's more than enough room for expansion in the future for all professions.

Quote:
i noticed that the swoosh symbol was nothing but a whip in mid swing

-- Sage Francis
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Guardians » Melee
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: