FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Law and Order...
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Bureaucrats » Law and Order...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HR-Myst

Post Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 2:05 am    Post subject: Law and Order...

Here is a little teaser info on the law system for bureaucrats:

-  Research an unlimited number of criminal cases and argue them in front of the Arbitrators.  Arbitrator is the common title for a judge on Haelrahv.

-  The cases range from minor infractions like spitting on public property to technology fraud to premeditated murder.

-  Payouts and experience for successfully defending a client in front of the Arbitrators will depend on how well your character researches and presents the case.

-  Make more money by using your skills to defend other PCs who have committed crimes within the game system and charge them for your services.

-  Any character will be able to plead his or her own case in court, but it will be beneficial to hire a skilled bureaucratic lawyer.

-  Use your charisma to persuade the Arbitrators to see things your way, or use your intimidation skills to scare them.  Watch out, the Arbitrators could hold you in contempt and the next case you’ll be working on will be your own.

-  Like most systems in Haelrahv, the law system stands on its own or accompanies other systems as a source of experience and money.

Myst
 Back to top »
Durinthal
Arr!

Post Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 12:44 am    Post subject:

So would we be able to set up a full trial between two players? I already have schemes forming in my mind if it's possible..
 Back to top »
HR-Myst

Post Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 4:07 pm    Post subject:

The long-term goal is to have player vs. player trials and even player judges (called Arbitrators on Haelrahv). However, I don't think the system will be that advanced by the time the game opens.

When the game opens:

1. You will be able to argue random NPC court cases before an Arbitrator of Abbindolare for both experience and money. Since this is a bureaucrat system, bureaus will have advantages, of course.

2. There will be a couple of "quests" involving you to piece together information and witnesses and use them to get a final verdict in court.

3. You will be able to defend players who have been accused of various crimes throughout Haelrahv. You set your fee and use your skill to defend them. Of course, the better you are, the more people will want to use your services.

4. When you take a case before an Arbitrator, you may try to persuade, intimidate or argue your point. Persuading is the safest way to argue a case. Using intimidation could backfire and you could end up charged with contempt. Arguing uses a mixture of your intimidation and persuasion skills. If the Arbitrator thinks you are too cocky, he/she may sting you.

5. Even before you go before the Arbitrator, you'll have to research each case until you understand it.

Once these aspects are bug free and tweaked, they will be used as the basis of player vs. player trials.

I'm also thinking about the possibility of player judges. They'd have to reach a certain level as a Bureaucrat and be registered to settle cases. However, I'm concentrating on perfecting the basics first.

Thanks for the interest.

Myst
 Back to top »
HR-Kal

Post Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 7:55 pm    Post subject:

I keep thinking of Harvey Birdman... ::ducks::
 Back to top »
Nojym

Location: Feel me breathin on your neck, then don't worry bout it.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Alrighty then. It's now my understanding that eventually, most game offenses will be handled IG in the court room. I'm speaking of PvP killings and things of that nature. This eliminating the involvement of GMs regarding policies and consequences to a degree?

Nojym
 Back to top »
HR-Eleanora

Post Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Well, that depends. If PvP moves into the neighborhood of harassment, then we'll be involved. At the same time, someone who does nothing but run around and kill others will not make many friends. In fact, I'd expect a rather large posse to move in to enact revenge on such a person, bodily if not through the legal system.

I'd just say...don't dish out what you can't take.

Eleanora
Nojym

Post Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 6:28 pm    Post subject:

Not gonna be running around on rampant killing sprees, but there will arise situations that I'm sure will require deadly force. Now in DR, PvP is considered illegal unless a challenge is first established or there is most definitely just cause. However, just cause tends to get real shady in DR and you see folks provoking others only to run and hide behind policy because they get someones blood boiling, then won't accept a challenge forcing those being provoked to take the final alternative and just kill the individual. This in turns leads to the killer's account being warned which can end up leading to a lockout. Personally, I have no intentions of being a harassing individual. As a matter of fact, completely the opposite, an introvert if you will. I just don't want someone running to the GM's and getting me in trouble when they start something they can't handle (I intend to let my weapons do most of my talking). I in turn, can handle any consequences from there regarding retaliation from other characters IG. In essence, if I drop someone because I feel they are getting smart with me, then I hope it stays between me and the other character or their friends if they so choose to get involved. If I in turn get dropped, rest assured, I won't be involving GM's. I'll handle it myself or call it even till they try to get smart again. I'm not gonna pick fights but I'm not gonna take smartellicness kindly either. Now, when the time comes that I do kill another character, will it automatically be handled in court, will GM's get involved or are there going to be areas where everyone just looks the other way? Not looking to get off with free kills here but, just making sure that it doesn't end up like DR where they had to create a whole new version of the game to address this situation (DR The Fallen).

Nojym
 Back to top »
Dante
Boi Toi

Post Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 12:06 am    Post subject:

::eye starts twitching with so many of those certain initials being thrown around::

::twitch::

I'd be intereted to hear how many times the phrase "In DR" has been used on these message boards.

<insert obligatory on topic sentences> I'm kind of wondering if a Bureaucrat will be able to purposefully sway a case one way or another with enough skill. Like, say they get assigned to defend someone that recently murdered a friend of theirs. Will they be able to sway the trial away from not winning to exact their own form of revenge on the murderer by purposefully failing to defend their client well enough, ending with said murderer ending up fined or sent to prison? Twisted Evil

Yes...I do have an evil streak now and then. Muah ha ha ha!
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 4:40 am    Post subject:

" in dr " - 29
" dr " - 67
" dragonrealms " - 1

And for fun...

" gs " - 3
" gs3 " - 4
" gemstone " - 1
" hx " - 1
" h/x " - 0
" h&x " - 0
" mo " - 28
" modus " - 3
" simu " - 4
" simutronics " - 0

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Nojym

Post Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 6:51 am    Post subject:

Blink! Someones actually counting? Now I know someone has too much time on their hands. Very Happy Rolling Eyes

Any rate, sorry for all the referals that other game, but it's the only thing I have to compare to. I'll try in the future to not do that.

Nojym
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 7:15 am    Post subject:

<laugh> the referrals don't bother me personally. Most of us came from a DR or MO background.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Nojym

Post Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Won't spill too many beans cause too much info might give away my good side but, Prydaens rock in DR (yes, I play a Prydaen).

Nojym Twisted Evil
HR-Myst

Post Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 12:33 am    Post subject:

Prydaen thieves were my favorites Smile

Here is a post that I keep handy. In it, Trevor explains everything you need to know about Counselor intervention in the game. Some in-game laws will be totally for gaming purposes, other will be used to curb some actions by players. The in-game laws and court systems are NOT related to Counselor intervention (God that sounds like therapy) and should not be confused with them.

http://www.haelrahv.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=32

Myst
 Back to top »
HR-Myst

Post Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 12:39 am    Post subject:

Dante:

I will definitely take the idea of a lawyer's influence over the verdict into consideration. I never really thought about whether a lawyer would want to botch a case. It probably won't be implemented by the time the game opens, but I will put it on my list of things for the more advanced law system.

Myst
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Bureaucrats » Law and Order...
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: