Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Skill Caps
Goto page Previous  1, 2
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Polls » Skill Caps
View previous topic :: View next topic  

IF the proposal for advancement is implemented, the skill level cap should be:
300 - Skills are worth about the same, but I know I can cap much earlier than level 100.
25%
 25%  [ 10 ]
500 - Skill points are worth less to me, but I know I can look forward to stuff to work on all the way up to level 100.
74%
 74%  [ 29 ]
Total Votes : 39

HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:46 am    Post subject:

Quote:
right now i have 90/200 bladed, or 45% of the way to the current cap. it is triple-trainable for me, fully trained.

under the new system, as per complevel, i would have 180/500, or 36% of the way to the new cap, if i train bladed fully . . making me the performance-equivalent of someone with 72 in bladed now (.36*200=72). i would fare as well as a current level 24 for one for whom it is triple-trainable, a current level 36 for someone for whom it is double.

i still do not understand this. it seems i would still perform worse than i do now.

It's kind of combination of yes and no here. Yes, skills will be devalued some if we raise the cap, even if we raise to 300, but especially if to 500. Combat is one of those systems you can get by on more, but some systems we'd have to add a lot of content to, to stretch 500 points out without devaluing skill points.

So yes, you would in some sense perform worse than before but I would expect it to have a generally minor effect on what you can hunt. Maybe you'd go a couple notches down on food chain so to speak, but nothing drastic.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:44 am    Post subject:

I haven't voted on this yet. For each choice, how are caps handled after level 100?
** The phrase "break a leg" just wasn't ambitious enough for Mellie Knight. [8:31 pm]
** Mellie Knight was soundly defeated by Aesal Anari-Idia in the Zgedhi Gkenrzeg Rav! [8:31 pm]
 Back to top »
Xice

Post Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:42 am    Post subject:

SIMU-Sux wrote:
If the cap is going to be as high as 500, then I don't think there should be a limit imposed on how often someone can train a skill per level. Not everyone who plays is going to stick it out to level 100; and with such a high ceiling I don't think it'd be unreasonable to do away with the leashes that keep people in check right now. No matter what someone's level, if they put enough work into training a skill they should have more to show for it than an imposed set of numbers (i.e. 5 in a skill per level) that doesn't change throughout their lifespan.

That's if I'm recalling that aspect of the proposal correctly.

I understand your point but I have to disagree. Especially considering that you can earn skill points by doing an action now repeatedly. If there were no limits per level John Doe could sit and run X script all day long for weeks at a time and become the most powerful mage by level 20. Just like in any profession you get perks for advancing. Joe the mailroom guy is never going to get that executive parking spot until he moves up in his profession. That's kind of how I view this. That's why I feel its called promotions because you are gaining rank in your profession. If everyone could be masters of their profession by level 20 then what would be the point of ever advancing? Just my take on it.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I haven't voted on this yet. For each choice, how are caps handled after level 100?

Still uncapped either way.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject:

As far as this topic goes, I'd have to say I'd prefer going up to 500. It doesn't appeal to my sense of continuity to be stuck for 40 levels and then uncap again. Plus this way we can actually have critters for those levels between 60-100.
** The phrase "break a leg" just wasn't ambitious enough for Mellie Knight. [8:31 pm]
** Mellie Knight was soundly defeated by Aesal Anari-Idia in the Zgedhi Gkenrzeg Rav! [8:31 pm]
 Back to top »
BurnedOut

Post Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject:

Hey, you guys gotta remember there are advantages to only being able to reach 300 in a skill. You're going to cap before level one hundred, so what. Once you cap you can train other things like music, or magic or psionics, or even alchemy if you never trained it before. Think about it, then think about where you're vote should go.
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject:

BurnedOut wrote:
Hey, you guys gotta remember there are advantages to only being able to reach 300 in a skill. You're going to cap before level one hundred, so what. Once you cap you can train other things like music, or magic or psionics, or even alchemy if you never trained it before. Think about it, then think about where you're vote should go.

But with the new system, you're able to cap out 20 or so skills once you reach 100. In the old system, you'd only get enough exp to cap out 10.

You still come out on top with the 500 skill cap.
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject:

BurnedOut wrote:

But, as a counter argument, many people don't want that. I'd rather (mainly RP and profession reasons) train Unarmed and Exotic Weapons every time I level than max them out at level 60 and then move on to other things. As Vhen, it wouldn't make sense for me to get another level as a mercenary and say "Sweet. Now I get to be even better at knitting those chudu fleece gloves that are so popular with the commoners."

Not that your idea is bad; sometimes I wish that I had more points so I could try out other systems (well, I do have more points... I mean even more points). I just don't like capping out when I'm barely halfway through my formal training.
 Back to top »
SIMU-Sux

Post Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:45 am    Post subject:

Quote:
If there were no limits per level John Doe could sit and run X script all day long for weeks at a time and become the most powerful mage by level 20.

I don't think that'd be the case. There are plenty of games without such restrictions, and you don't see little Sally Sue level 5 running around smiting everything in sight. And given that the person running the script for weeks at a time would be gaining experience in the process as well, I'm sure they'd be much past 20th before becoming "the most powerful mage." Wink There's also the fact that training the skill gets progressively harder as well (I'm assuming), so it's not like someone is just training a skill with the ease of going from 0-1 over and over again.

Take Modus, for instance. Last I knew there weren't any skill restrictions (though I believe they were thinking about implementing some, I don't remember), and you didn't see any master gymnasts running around within a couple months after starting -- it took time. One idea could be to make it progressively harder to level a skill past 5 while at the same level, and having this "scale" of sorts reset once one levels. That would offer both the opportunity to break from the mold, while at the same time encouraging one to level. It would also create more opportunities for specialization, I think.

I'd just prefer a bit more flexibility, as right now skill gaining seems a little rigid. But maybe I just need to be weaned off DR's teat. Embarassed
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Polls » Skill Caps
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: