FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Death and Dieing
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » "Live" Discussions » Death and Dieing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Death and Dieing

I want this, even though it may not be too feasable...

I've never really liked the global death messages in any game. I mean, how would I know that some random guy whom I've never met just died somewhere? We were talking about having a list of people that AVOID wouldn't work on, so maybe could we have a small group of people that would know when you died? You'd get a message saying that you think something happened to Whomever when they die, or something like that. It'd be limited at first, maybe get larger with level, and medics could get some sort of bonus to this. Just an idea...
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject:

Personally, I'm not nuts about the concept. There are times when "realism" is sacrificed for sake of gameplay and the death messages are an example. It is helpful to know when someone dies. If you die in a remote area an no message is issued, then you may have no chance to be revive unless you take it OOC and IM someone. Medics who like to help people would also find it harder to do so because they wouldn't know who needs help.

I do understand that some players love realism. So much that they'd probably back almost anything as a concept, if it were realistic. But, I think that it would only take a few deaths losing a lot of experience (because, face it, a lot of people get sloppy about imaging) and you'd see a lot less people thrilled for having this realistic no-death-messages environment. That's my impression of the situation, anyway.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Thissa

Post Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject:

For the people who do not want to receive death messages you can set it off using the set wizard thingy, at least I think you can if you use gs mode.

Just trying to be helpful
Ponderer

Post Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Realism meets gameplay.

It is always hard to match realism against the weight of gameplay, because enjoyable gameplay is what keeps us returning, but realism can truly immerse us when we are there.

My suggestion:
I've touched on this in a few of my other suggestions, but i'll try to be more thorough here.

Life insurance and situational death awareness - I think it might be interesting if instead of a global death message, death messaging was more clearly explained within the logic of the universe. My thought would be that with an imaging, there would be a lifesigns recorder chip installed in the body. This chip would do a number of things-
Announce to all nearby medics that the person is in need of healing if activated by the user while injured.
Upon death:
Send out a call for an EMT if the user is insured.
Send out a distress signal to friends.
Send out a distress call to the nearest medical facility, which then would inform any medics in the area, and relay the message to other medical facilities.
The corpse would then be 'informed' (the chip would indicate) if there are no medical technicians or friends on to receive the message. Any medics could chose to 'respond' or 'ignore', and the corpse would also be informed if no medics had responded to their call, giving them a clearer indication of if and when help may be coming, which may reduce player distress in that disconcerting time.

EMT's - Emergency medical technicians, be they NPC or PC, could take an ambulance to the location of the site and heal them there, or take them to a facility to be cared for.

Friends, enemies, and contacts - A system to record those you know, with a small comment as to how perhaps (like the wizard highlighting system) and change your demeanor toward friends and enemies could be useful. In this case it is unlikely that someone who doesn't know the fallen person would care UNLESS they are a medic, if they do know them however, it would be good for them to know so they can begin to seek help above and beyond that given by the distress call.

Health insurance:
This would be a monthly fee paid for reduced cost and expediated healing and health care.

I think this system will keep death messaging within more 'realistic' or well explained terms as well as limiting it only to those most likely to be interested.
 Back to top »
soundless
EIGHT YEARS OLD!!!

Post Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Maybe death messages can be projected over a 911-type COMM channel.

The projection can be said by a default EMS-type NPC.
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » "Live" Discussions » Death and Dieing
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: