FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
caution fellow mercs
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Mercenaries » caution fellow mercs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mischeif

Post Posted: Tue May 25, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: caution fellow mercs

i just found out, although when they are providing a bonus the weapons are nice, but they can also hinder you with a penalty.

to provide an example:
i have 58 base str, i wear a borkin head that adds 5 to it making it look like:

58 (63)

i noticed my str was 58 (61). did an assist and was told to remove the borkin head. i then had 58 (57). then was told to remove the knuckles, and it was just 58. i then put the borkin head back on and got 58 (63). put the knuckles back on, and it started jumping, (67), (64), (66), (61), (62).

i agree the floating bonus idea is original and kinda kewl, but why make a weapon specificaly for someone, then to only let it give them a penalty? it would be like someone custom making a computer for you, with three possible passwords, and only giving you two. when you could get in you would be happy and benifiting, but when you couldnt, you'd be suckin true wind.

just thought id warn those that havent bought them, it can provide a bonus, or it can provide a penalty. i was told they are the only ones in the shop that do this. i woulda thought they would only benefit us, and peanlize non mercs, but hey, thats just me. wish i woulda known they dont just provide a "rotating bonus" but could also penalize you.

Last edited by Mischeif on Tue May 25, 2004 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Tue May 25, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject:

Those weapons are cool. Actually, I just have the brass knuckles (bagh-nakh now), so they're not really wepaons, but they do the same thing. It's hard to track exactly, but I think mine give up to +4 in strength and coord, and +10 in unarmed... I think it's worth it.

And, to note (again, it's hard to track), I've seen up to +10 unarmed, but I've never seen less than -7 or so. That's not to say it doesn't go lower, I just haven't seen it. And when I check, it's usually a bonus.
 Back to top »
HR-Marduk

Post Posted: Tue May 25, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
i agree the floating bonus idea is original and kinda kewl, but why make a weapon specificaly for someone, then to only let it give them a penalty? it would be like someone custom making a computer for you, with three possible passwords, and only giving you two. when you could get in you would be happy and benifiting, but when you couldnt, you'd be suckin true wind.

A> The weapons will, overall, give you a rather nice bonus.

B> They're the only unarmed or stat boosting weapons sold in shops (that I'm aware of).

Those two points are justication enough, to me, to make them limited to mercenaries. In fact, I supplied of them in the stock than anything else in the shop because I expected them to be the most popular item.

Quote:
And, to note (again, it's hard to track), I've seen up to +10 unarmed, but I've never seen less than -7 or so. That's not to say it doesn't go lower, I just haven't seen it. And when I check, it's usually a bonus.

It shouldn't even be going that low. You're noticing it get this low and you don't have anything else that may be doing it, assist or e-mail me and I'll get to you.

Quote:
i noticed that the swoosh symbol was nothing but a whip in mid swing

-- Sage Francis
 Back to top »
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Tue May 25, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, that -7 was a miscalculation on my part. It's either -6 or -5, it's tricky because of the +10% merc bonus. I think it's only -5, but that drops me down so I get 1 less point from the bonus, so it seems like -6... if that makes sense.

Sorry about that.
 Back to top »
Mischeif

Post Posted: Wed May 26, 2004 2:08 am    Post subject:

umm boss guru guy,,,,
there are other weapons that give bonuses, so far ive notices what ever style they are in, ie polearm, you get a bonus there too. this one stays pretty constant. ive not notice it fluxuate one digit.
 Back to top »
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject:

He said they were the only unarmed or stat boosting weapons sold in shops. The only other things that boost unarmed (that I can think of) are the quest gloves and the claws sold at a raffle a long time ago, and neither of them are available now.
 Back to top »
HR-Marduk

Post Posted: Wed May 26, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject:

Mischeif wrote:
umm boss guru guy,,,,
there are other weapons that give bonuses, so far ive notices what ever style they are in, ie polearm, you get a bonus there too. this one stays pretty constant. ive not notice it fluxuate one digit.

The other items in the merc-only section also provide bonuses, though not necessarily of the same type as the knuckles.

It should be pointed out here (mainly because I forgot to in my last post) that the items are intended to be merc-only because they're UNIQUE, not necessarily because they're going to turn you into an invincible force on the battlefield, though all of them are beneficial in their own right.

As far as I'm aware, there are no weapons elsewhere in the game that reproduce the abilities provided by the mercenary-only weapons in Haenim's ship.

Quote:
i noticed that the swoosh symbol was nothing but a whip in mid swing

-- Sage Francis
 Back to top »
Mischeif

Post Posted: Thu May 27, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject:

marduk, first word of advice, dont pay me no mind. i was shocked at the penalty. it was re-explained wrong, but now that ive done my own experiments, im here for the crow dinner that you have the right to serve.

i was led to believe they *knuckles* provided the same for all professions. then i played it on my own, and found out that is incorrect.

thanks for the kick arse weapons, i personaly have fallen in lust,,,er love with this scythe.
Mellie Knight says, "Holy shit, Taz brought me down."
Mellie Knight says, "Damn, I'm begining to feel tiny."
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Mercenaries » caution fellow mercs
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: