FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Badnames
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Role-playing & Socialization » Badnames
View previous topic :: View next topic  
senseandviolets

Post Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: Badnames

I'm going to try to put this as delicatly as possible, as I don't want to offend anyone. However, there's been a badname floating around for a few months, that I think people have failed to notice/report, "Lolita Nabokov." It's from a rather famous fifties novel, taking the title/main character, and last name of the author. It's been made into multiple movies, http://www.imdb.com/find?tt=on;nm=on;mx=20;q=lolita

Normally I wouldn't go so far as to post about a name here, when no one else was bothered enough by it to badname it. However I have to admit I find it somewhat offensive. The books is narrated by a child molester/murder. I'm currently struggling with the book in a class right now, and find it deeply disturbing. So at the risk of sounding as if I have a wish to censor, or be judgemental, I have come here to ask you to badname it, or if the player themselves should read this, to change the name of their own will.

-Regards,
The Prude
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Badnames

senseandviolets wrote:
I'm going to try to put this as delicatly as possible, as I don't want to offend anyone. However, there's been a badname floating around for a few months, that I think people have failed to notice/report, "Lolita Nabokov."

I've noticed it, but that (and quite a few other bad names I've seen) just doesn't seem to fit any of the criteria for being a bad name. Ok well you find it offensive, but I just find it to be rather bad taste so I haven't bothered with it.

I wish we could submit bad names just for being laughable (a few ending in Hate'z come to mind) but I'm not getting my hopes up so I just more or less ignore them for now.
** The phrase "break a leg" just wasn't ambitious enough for Mellie Knight. [8:31 pm]
** Mellie Knight was soundly defeated by Aesal Anari-Idia in the Zgedhi Gkenrzeg Rav! [8:31 pm]
 Back to top »
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
wish we could submit bad names just for being laughable

That's what I do. I think my last badname was "It's just not a very good name. Nobody's name is 'Night'." I would have badnamed Lolita earlier, but I squelched the arrive/depart messages, so I never see it.
 Back to top »
senseandviolets

Post Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
just doesn't seem to fit any of the criteria for being a bad name. Ok well you find it offensive, but I just find it to be rather bad taste so I haven't bothered with it.

I thought famous names qualified, and I see your point, generally I'm all for "live and let live," I just found myself feeling particularly bothered in this instance.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject:

Correction: You may submit a name for any reason other than to harass a player.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Tylen
Alpha Antifemale

Post Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject:

senseandviolets wrote:
I thought famous names qualified, and I see your point, generally I'm all for "live and let live," I just found myself feeling particularly bothered in this instance.

I have mixed feelings about how the badname system works. I can understand how GMs don't want to have to investigate every single bad name that is reported. But at the same time, is a name any less bad because only one or five people reported it instead of six?
** The phrase "break a leg" just wasn't ambitious enough for Mellie Knight. [8:31 pm]
** Mellie Knight was soundly defeated by Aesal Anari-Idia in the Zgedhi Gkenrzeg Rav! [8:31 pm]
 Back to top »
senseandviolets

Post Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
But at the same time, is a name any less bad because only one or five people reported it instead of six?

I believe this system is basically in place to leave what qualifies as a "bad name," to the discretion of players rather than staff.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject:

Correct. And the idea is to have a good sampling of players (so as to be fair and so as to accurately portray what the masses want) without requiring every online player to vote.

Back to top »
Josie
Everyone wants to be me!

Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject:

First off let me say that this Lolita person is not me. However, I am feeling a little upset at about how this came to pass. As I was told by her, only 1 person had badnamed her until this message post came up and then all the sudden there were enough badnames on her to make her have to change her name.

I dont think its appropriate to bring badnames to the boards and say, please badname this name because I am insulted by it. Lolita has been in these lands for months now and until you pointed it out here she was fine. I guess I feel like she got cheated out of her name because you were insulted by it. Granted I don't care for the book but there are far worse names in HR than hers that actually should be badnamed and aren't. Until you pointed it out with the post and the website... not many people even knew about the book and the movies to begin with. I find it very unfair of you to do this in the boards. If you do not like someones name badname them and maybe tell your friends if you have to but she got the raw end of this deal because of you bringing it to everyone's attention.

I dont see why its anyone's business where someone pulls a name from. Like you said the first name was the first name of the character and the last name was the authors last name. It wasn't a famous name in any right but a combonation of names. I myself have quite a few characters with combonation of names that I have pulled out of books or life or such. Should those names be badnamed as well? Granted Lolita is about a molester/murderer... but that doesn't give you or me the right to tell her that she can't have her name.

Its not the fact that she has a bad name that I am upset about here. Like I said if you felt it is a bad name, then badname it. What I am upset about is that it came to the boards because well I just feel that its harassment *shrugs*. I think that the only fair thing here is to give Lolita the option of getting her name back, however she would probably end up being killed for it now since it has come to everyones attention, and I think that this "board badnaming" should be stopped. but thats just my two cents.

~Josie
You forcefully swing your fluffy pillow at Trevor Rage and hit him on the rear sending feathers flying everywhere!
Your swing knocked Trevor Rage down!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject:

I'd like to say that the statement that only one person had badnamed her before this post is incorrect. In fact, I don't know that this post had any impact. That's of course not to say it couldn't have.

They were around for "months", true, but they had less than one level's worth of experience. In other words they didn't play a whole lot. But ok, these are sidenotes, not the actual point of your post.

The fact is, we've made name enforcement a community affair. If we had not, then the staff would have made her change it anyway, for the same sort of reasons people reported the name. I can see some level of argument for a specific place on these boards for such "community actions", but I don't think excluding them from the boards is at all warranted. This is a forum for players to discuss issues and concerns relevant to Haelrahv, and this issue falls under that description.

Back to top »
Brenton
/fidget

Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject:

Its not about whether posting it is right or wrong, if enough people thought the name was in bad taste then it doesn't matter how they found out, its no different than what you suggested, telling a few friends, its just she decided to tell a much larger group and they happened to agree with her apparently.
senseandviolets

Post Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I dont think its appropriate to bring badnames to the boards and say, please badname this name because I am insulted by it.

I'd just like to clarify that I didn't post soley because I felt insulted, but because in addition the name was OOC. The name came from a single book. The name Josie Laurens for instance came from seperate characters in I believe seperate books, also books I believe to be more obscure. Therefore names such as that are not as distracting to me. I apologize if she feels as if she has been "cheated," out of her name, and I by no means wish to be seen as a catalyst to harrasment. I hope there are no hard feelings.
Dzynna
Shadow Master

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject:

The subject of names got me thinking about bad names again...so thought I'd share these.

Modern human names

Modern human surnames

A good name generator

Another good name generator

Dzynna Zol
-------------------------------------
The Retreat
--------------------------------------
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Haidee
Bow chicka bow wow

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject:

People who have crappy naming skillz (prolly from playing EverQuest too much Wink) aren't going to read the boards. Sad At least not before they create AngelicDesire HotChick.
Inside an intricately beaded twilight black suede corset with hot pink lacings you see a buttery nipple, a buttery nipple, a steaming pile of gamojab poop, a speckled red crab, a chocolate chip brownie, a map of Haelrahv, a huge blonde hair ball, a severed Haidee head, and your boobs.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject:

That second name generator is pretty decent. Just gotta be able to weed through some of the obvious bad ones.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Role-playing & Socialization » Badnames
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: