FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Corsairs (leng...thy)
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Agents » Corsairs (leng...thy)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:25 pm    Post subject: Corsairs (leng...thy)

I've kind of worked myself into a Pirate-Agent frenzy, just the thought of it bringing many ideas to mind. Besides, who wouldn't love to have to worry about pirates while they sailed the oceans of Haelrahv in their new $30 million yahts? Not only pirates, but characters with an actual brain behind them -- not the baby pirate critters from that other place when you traveled from Haven to Aesry.

I intended this to turn out more of a plea for some kind of Pirating system to be born, but it turned out more like an information packet for those pondering playing a pirate sometime down the road. Eh, I guess it's alright.. god knows I won't mind a little friendly competition out there. Very Happy

---------------------------------------------------

First, we need to define a Corsair:

Quote:

A corsair was someone who, with the control of a craft or group of ships, was devoted to piracy on behalf of his king. He possessed a registration certificate granted by the king and he had permission to approach any enemy ship of the Crown. The Crown took a fifth of the booty, while the rest was for the corsair. The installation of the corsair proved a solution for the commercial uncertainty of the islands, since with its attacks on the ships of other kingdoms they obtained slaves and consumable goods, the indispensable provisions for a regular economic life which would not have otherwise arrived at these ports. The corsairs became a providor to an economy in deep regression.

As to fashion...

Since pirates were aboard ship most of the time, they had little access to bathtubs and washing machines. This meant that the entire ship was full of extremely stinky vermin ridden pirates. Their clothes were stiff with sweat and salt, and their hair was dreadlocked and full of lice and other.. things. However, they were a fairly dashing bunch, wearing stylish cravats and the most fashionable shoes of the period. These clothes were often the booty from raids, and soon became tattered and dirty.

Most pirates preferred tough cotton trousers with buttons in the front, usually reaching to just above the ankle. Striped socks were favored for use with the buckled leather shoe, which was very popular with the nobility back then (which meant it was a more abundant booty to steal). A linen shirt, checked or striped was standard attire, although some pirates went bare chested in warm weather. A jaunty red sash was actually a Hollywood addition, mostly because it showed up well in Technicolor. Real pirates would have had no problem with the fashionable accessory.

A jacket similar to those in naval uniforms was put on over this ensemble, and a cravat was added to keep the neck warm in the cold sea air. The pirate’s baldric went over all this, which was a wide leather belt hung diagonally across the body, and held several pistols and a cutlass. Smart pirates also tucked daggers and other small weapons into their clothing just to be safe. This outfit was not a standard among pirates but it was common enough. Availability was usually the only requirement for pirate fashion.

** Side note **

If I recall, Phoenix was asking for some ideas for her plethora of costume shops -- make one dedicated solely to piratey attire, or at least one dominated by it. You've got the cravats, baldrics, sashes, shirts, socks, boots/buckled shoes... then there are the stereotypical eyepatches and triangular hats (I forget what they're called). Then the functional things -- compasses, telescopes, journals and/or logs, and a few other things that would primarily just be RP tools. There are things that could be modified to bring it into the electronic age as well, but I won't dwell on that right now.

** End, Side Note **

Now, when pirates hit the port towns...

Pirates often spent long months on leaky, smelly ships, with short provisions and no company except for rats and insects. So when they came to port, they could be expected to get fairly rowdy. However, they also had real work to do. They were responsible not only for finding supplies for their next journey; they also had to clean the ship. Thus the pirates were very busy when they came to port.

When a pirate ship came in, the first thing its sailors usually did was to go out in search of taverns. After being crammed on a ship for months at a time with limited provisions, many freebooters engaged in heavy drinking and gambling, which many captains discouraged while aboard the ship. Waterfront taverns, not being respectable places to begin with, also hosted comely wenches who were willing to trade their bodies for a share of the loot. Pirates came to port with enough money to buy and sometimes spent the lot of it in a single night. They also enjoyed pipes of tobacco while on land since fear of fire kept them from smoking on the ship. Most of the pirate’s time on land consisted of activities that they could not do at sea.

Members of the crew were also responsible for provisioning the ship they had to find water, wine and beer along with dried or salted meat and fruit to prevent scurvy. Pirates who plied the Caribbean often got supplies from the buccaneers, who were originally hunters.

Pirates tended to be a constantly hungry lot. Provisions often ran short, long before a journey ended and the supplies left were usually infested with vermin. Thus, the were forced to catch the bounty of the sea, hunt fame on nearby islands or make frequent stops to restock food and water.

A pirate ship usually left the harbor with a supply of salted pork and alcohol. Tough biscuits, known as hardtack, were also brought, but these quickly became infested with weevils. Little water was carried because it became undrinkable with in a few days. Rum and beer were preferred by the crew and did not spoil easily. In 1753, when it was found that scurvy was caused by a lack of vitamin C, fresh fruit was also taken on sea journeys.

When supplies ran out, pirates would catch their dinner. Crews would fish for tuna and dolphin, which followed the ship. If they went ashore on unpopulated islands, they caught monkeys, goats, and birds, chasing them with clubs. They also took slow moving sea turtles, easy prey for drunken pirates. When there was no land in sight, and the ocean yielded no food, the crews would eat their satchels. One member of Sir Captain Henry Morgan’s crew writes, “slice the leather into pieces then soak, beat and rub between stones to tenderize. Scrape off the hair, then roast on grill. Cut into smaller pieces and serve with lots of water.”

A little extra information...

Most pirates were commoners, out for a life adventure. As such, they usually had an appalling lack of table manners. They ate using forks only rarely, shoveling food into their mouths with spoons or stabbing hunks with knives. Sometimes they simply used their fingers. Hungry for good portions of a voyage, pirates were not expected to eat politely. Plus, cooking was not always easy on pirate vessels. Captain Kidd’s Adventure Galley had only a cauldron, which could only be used in calm seas.

Piracy was not a gourmet profession. Hunger was a common companion to these roving plunderers. They ate what they could find, when they could find it, and to hell with table manners.

---------------------------------------------------

Hope you enjoyed.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Arden

Post Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Corsairs (leng...thy)

Quote:
If I recall, Phoenix was asking for some ideas for her plethora of costume shops -- make one dedicated solely to piratey attire, or at least one dominated by it. You've got the cravats, baldrics, sashes, shirts, socks, boots/buckled shoes... then there are the stereotypical eyepatches and triangular hats (I forget what they're called). Then the functional things -- compasses, telescopes, journals and/or logs, and a few other things that would primarily just be RP tools. There are things that could be modified to bring it into the electronic age as well, but I won't dwell on that right now.

Hey, now. Pirate-wear is my department. I guess you weren't lucky enough to get an official Arden Sutherland black velvet eyepatch from the claw machine. Razz

Arden
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:54 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
then there are the stereotypical eyepatches and triangular hats (I forget what they're called)

A tri-corn (or tri-corner, both are valid) hat. Smile And nice post, thanks!

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 5:24 am    Post subject:

Sorry, Arden. I had thought Phoenix the Queen of Clothing or something. However, would you be free to craft a few piratey things for me (..and all those other people wanting to be a pirate.. yeah)? Very Happy

And thanks, Trevor. I feel retarded, now, for forgetting such an easy name. Heh.

Also, I had forgotten to mention the process of careening the ships when the corsairs (or any other breed of pirate or even the regular sailor) when they docked in port towns. It's basically beaching the ship, turning it over on its side, and cleaning the bottom of the it. Removing barnacles and such, as well as repainting or plugging of holes made from shipworms.

In my opinion, this would just be too much reality and too much hassle for the common player (I'm assuming the Pirate system -- if it were to EVER come to fruition -- would just be an "expansion pack" to the Nautical system). Instead, I'd rather there be some fee you can pay when docked to have them do it all for you... like pulling into a professional car-wash. It'd take time, perhaps an hour or two, but I think it's worth it when you think how damaging the shipwormed-holes can be over time. Very Happy

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Arden

Post Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 7:08 am    Post subject:

Brokyn wrote:
Sorry, Arden. I had thought Phoenix the Queen of Clothing or something. However, would you be free to craft a few piratey things for me (..and all those other people wanting to be a pirate.. yeah)? Very Happy

Sure. I'll add it to my list. Might as well make a big production out of it and have it has its own shop instead of part of another.

Arden
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HR-Solphan
Lord of All That Is Agenty

Post Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:53 pm    Post subject:

Hey, thanks for all the info on pirates. Yet another thing that I've always wanted to do, heh.
Raziaar

Post Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject:

Hiyas. I would definately think of being a pirate type of character? I just joined this game from dragonrealms and i'm taking a look at it with my girlfriend Smile
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Agents » Corsairs (leng...thy)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: