FAQ Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Teachers?
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Bureaucrats » Teachers?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
balihai

Post Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 7:51 pm    Post subject: Teachers?

You mentioned Teachers. Care to expound upon that?
 Back to top »
HR-Eleanora

Post Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 2:11 am    Post subject:

I'll wait for Myst to give the full information, but one neat thing about being a bureaucrat is you can be a teacher. Since teaching is going to be far rarer here than in other realms, so to speak, being a traveling teacher (or even staying in one place) could be a profitable occupation.

Eleanora
HR-Myst

Post Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 10:47 am    Post subject:

I really don't have a lot of info on teaching yet. Just going by the discussions that Trevor, Eleanora and I have had, bureaucrats will be able to teach "book" knowledge to other characters. This will be based on certains skills, of course. Teaching is also another avenue through which bureaucrats will be able to make some money.

To explain quickly, Haelrahv is a big place. Skill training locations are spread out over the entire planet. Some of those skills are used by more than one profession, forcing players to travel at times to train certain skills. For a few bucks, a nearby bureaucrat could teach the skill instead, cutting down on travel time for his or her students.

While we're on the subject, if you or anyone else has any ideas for the teaching system, please feel free to share them. I'll post more when I dive into this system.

Myst
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 11:12 am    Post subject:

HR-Myst wrote:
For a few bucks, a nearby bureaucrat could teach the skill instead, cutting down on travel time for his or her students.

Would this skill teaching require time to pass -- like in DR, you have to sit for near ages to gain a single rank in anything -- or would it be automatic with a spiff message stating something similar to what the NPC "Teachers" would give?

It'd make sense if it'd take longer for bureaucrats, atleast until a certain level or skill rank, to take actual real life time to teach their students, yanno.. mainly because, if you goto an NPC, you don't want to sit there for RL time, simply because you'd get bored as hell and probably stab yourself with your big toe (riiight..). I can't think of a good IC way to explain the time, but I think you get the idea.

Also, would the bureaucrats gain EXP from teaching? I would think so, as they're actually doing something that would incur positive RT (we can put a thirty second RT in this if you wanted to simulate IC time going by through a class) to both the Bureau 'n the Student.

La la. And maybe a lecturing system.. ooo. You can teach those in your group a single skill and stuff. Probably would mean no RTing but moreso just passive time, like in DR.

And as I think about it, would you let us teach non-combat skills during combat? I'd really rather we not be able to, but that's just me. DR things tend to stick with you, yanno.

--William, the confusing one for now

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 12:44 pm    Post subject:

I should clarify some things on teaching...

First of all, it's different than DR, or MO... you can't learn a skill without burning a skill training point, just as you normally would, to learn a skill.

However, the fact skills have to be trained in specific locations and that these locations are so spread out that you may incur some significant travel time (especially if you need to cross over to a completely different continent), gives a good reason to have teachers ... to be portable classrooms to train skills.

I'm not totally sure on what time in training will be involved, if any. The system for teaching itself is not in, but it's pretty straightforward.

And yes, Bureaucrats will receive experience for teaching.

There is a good chance you will not be able to teach in combat, but that decision hasn't been made just yet.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Nojym

Location: Feel me breathin on your neck, then don't worry bout it.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 3:06 pm    Post subject:

OK, so let me see if I understand this. Instead of having to travel for hours to learn say, some writing skill (not sure if there is such a thing, just an example). Just wander around town huntin a Bureaucrat that is versed in that skill, slip them some currency and they'll help you burn some skill development points. You now have gained some writing skill without having to travel for hours?

Nojym
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 3:31 pm    Post subject:

Correct. Smile

Back to top »
HR-Eleanora

Post Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 4:57 pm    Post subject:

Assuming, of course, you have skill points to train. No points = no credit from learning from a teacher, I believe.

Eleanora
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 8:00 pm    Post subject:

Yep.

Back to top »
Nojym

Location: Feel me breathin on your neck, then don't worry bout it.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 8:10 pm    Post subject:

Coolness, I like it, course, as usual, looks like the Bereaucrats are gonna have the fat pockets. <snicker> Gets more realistic as we go along.

Nojym
 Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Bureaucrats » Teachers?
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: