Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Jump To: Haelrahv Main Site | My Haelrahv Account | Haelrahv Play Page
Bounty System
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Mercenaries » Bounty System
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:21 pm    Post subject: Bounty System

I know it isn't implemented. Maybe work hasn't even started on it. But, I just want to know how, in theory, will it work? Because right now, there's no reason for anybody to hire a mercenary, because agents and their poisons are better equipped for the job, AND they don't have to reveal an employer. Plus, it seems like it's equally as easy to search out an assassin as it is a mercenary.

I guess I just want to know if the bounty system will make it simple for people to post bounties and have them fulfilled, which might shift the balance our way.
 Back to top »
Downtweak

Post Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:41 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Because right now, there's no reason for anybody to hire a mercenary, because agents and their poisons are better equipped for the job

I'd certainly have to disagree with this. There's a definite line between who poison will and will not kill, and it's not a spectacular or amazing feat to become more or less invincible to HP-damage poisons.

Unless you're going to sit around and keep hitting them (in which case a merc would have better chances than an agent), you need a really nice first hit to take certain people down, even if they don't run to the hospital to get healed.

Code:
They hate me because I am the accumulation of the knowledge of Death.  That knowledge is a curse to them instead of a useful burden.

-Nef; From the Dust Returned
 Back to top »
HR-Arden

Post Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:29 pm    Post subject:

There will be a contracting system for mercenaries in the full game, but right now it's up to you to role-play it out. Ineol's method is a good example to follow.

I'm also going to refer you to the following thread. I'm sure it will answer a lot of your questions.

http://www.haelrahv.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=1275

Arden
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:00 pm    Post subject:

Figured I'd put this here, cuz it's not really about etiquette.

Will we be able to have more than one contract at one time? Or can we take a contract, and then... um... un-take it? Cuz, I mean, someone could put a price on someone, and then a merc would get the contract, and then the person they were after could quit HR, or just be gone for a really, really long time. And what about if a merc takes a contract, and then their player goes on vacation for a month, or something? Will they lose the contract after an extended period of inactivity?
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 5:35 am    Post subject:

Contracts will be required to be completed in a certain time frame or they become invalid. It's too early to give a good answer on the other points.

-- Trevor Rage / Rich Mondy
 Back to top »
Mischeif

Post Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 9:08 am    Post subject:

trevor...once again i must be your personal devils advocate...but, if they are in the process of being arrested, and log. then they "escape" of sorts. all they have to do is log every time, and wait out the statute of limitations youre speaking of and never face justice. with the statute in place, all we could then charge them with is criminal evasion. which if they are going up for say manslaughter, it goes from first degree felony to a second degree misdemeanor...not a good swap there. then if we keep a "close eye" on them, they can file harrasment. kinda binding our hands with a statute.
 Back to top »
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:32 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Contracts will be required to be completed in a certain time frame or they become invalid.

Invalid like, they go away? If that's the case then I'm gonna have to agree with Mischeif about the evasion thing. Maybe they'd just go back to the queue of contracts? As you said, Trevor, it's too early to say anything definitive, but that's just my idea.

Quote:
trevor...once again i must be your personal devils advocate...but, if they are in the process of being arrested, and log. then they "escape" of sorts.

Oooh, that's baaaaaad RP there *grins*.
 Back to top »
senseandviolets

Post Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Maybe the time limit would only count down when both the hired merc, and target are in game?
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Maybe the time limit would only count down when both the hired merc, and target are in game?

I thought the timer would be there to make sure that nobody gets stuck with a contract for a character that doesn't play anymore or hasn't logged in in months. Or, to take contracts away from mercenaries who haven't played in months, etc. That way people won't get stuck with contracts that they can't fulfill, and nobody will get away clean because the mercenary with the contract went on vacation IRL or whatever.
 Back to top »
Brokyn
LLAMA SECHS

Post Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
which if they are going up for say manslaughter, it goes from first degree felony to a second degree misdemeanor

On Haelrahv, criminal evasion could be the highest offense one could make. You never know.

--William

Haelrahv Wiki!
++Brown Nosing Points
 Back to top »
senseandviolets

Post Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:25 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I thought the timer would be there to make sure that nobody gets stuck with a contract for a character that doesn't play anymore or hasn't logged in in months.

I hadn't considered that. I still imagine the timer for experation wouldn't be so short that a player could reasonably evade it by logging out for a few hours.
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:05 pm    Post subject:

If someone is willing to not play their character for an entire day or even 12 hours or something to avoid a contract, that seems okay to me. The money would be refunded to the client probably. And this whole thing means it is probably likely the Merc could accept multiple contracts (but probably a limit to how many they can have open at any given time).

Back to top »
SolitaryTurnip

Post Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Another note about un-taking a contract. If you go for someone and they kill you, could you un-take the contract? Because if you have to keep the contract until it's finished then people could just guard your grave or keep killing you while you're without your equipment or something like that. Just more ideas.
 Back to top »
HR-Trevor
Boss Type Guy

Post Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject:

Dunno, with the fact you can take multiple contracts it doesn't seem too major of a deal either way.

Back to top »
The Official Haelrahv Message Forum Forum Index » Mercenaries » Bounty System
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: